AVIC411.com

Subwoofer Speaker Level adjustment needing to be set to 10 for decent bass level?

Hello guys,

So basically I had the entire system in my truck installed by Best Buy's audio center. They installed an entire JBL system including two 10" JBL down firing subwoofers all connected to a JBL XD700/5v2 amplifier. The system sounds extremely clean and badass, however, in order to get real deep and punchy subwoofer levels I'm needing to set the Subwoofer level in the Speaker Level menu all the way up to 10 and then crank the general volume up to 12 - which at 12 is overall really loud and that's the level I jam while driving with the windows down. Anything below 12 the sub's just don't really hit very hard. I figured with the two 10" setup I'd have MORE than enough bass potential than to be realistically desired, but I'm having to crank things just to get a reasonably desired 'hit' level. With the explanation I've given, does this tell you guys anything as to what's possibly 'wrong'?

Thanks in advance guys.

...They installed an entire JBL system including two 10" JBL down firing subwoofers all connected to a JBL XD700/5v2 amplifier. ...

That model number aligns with a JL Audio amp, not a JBL amp.

Manual: http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mfg/9013/media_document/live_1/XD700_5v2_MAN.pdf?1398143029

NOTE: Verify the subs are wired for lowest impedance the amp will tolerate (2 ohms).

Page 2 diagram of manual says SUB Input Sensitivity on page 9, which says to tune per Appendix A  on page 16.

You can follow that algorithm if you want, but in my experience you get the same result doing the following.  Set your head unit level to zero, crossover to 80hZ, slope to match channels 1-4.  Set amp LP filter mode to OFF and adjust Input Sensitivity to suit.  If you still don't get what you want, then increase the head unit level.  Just be careful to not make it over sensitive (discernable distortion)... you'll let the smoke out of the amp, the subs, or both.

That model number aligns with a JL Audio amp, not a JBL amp.

Manual: http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mfg/9013/media_document/live_1/XD700_5v2_MAN.pdf?1398143029

NOTE: Verify the subs are wired for lowest impedance the amp will tolerate (2 ohms).

Page 2 diagram of manual says SUB Input Sensitivity on page 9, which says to tune per Appendix A  on page 16.

You can follow that algorithm if you want, but in my experience you get the same result doing the following.  Set your head unit level to zero, crossover to 80hZ, slope to match channels 1-4.  Set amp LP filter mode to OFF and adjust Input Sensitivity to suit.  If you still don't get what you want, then increase the head unit level.  Just be careful to not make it over sensitive (discernable distortion)... you'll let the smoke out of the amp, the subs, or both.

Good advice. The issue I was had when I first installed my system was that I had the HP and LP filters for the amps and head unit on. Rookie mistake. I found that having the head unit control HP and LP and turn the amp filters off worked the best for me,