AVIC411.com

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The release notes state the app defaults to UK values and you'll need to change them for US. I noticed there are a few free service trials...

1 Year Free Trial for Connected Services

30 Days free trial for Connected Services

30 Days Live HD Traffic USA & Canada

Also, the notes say you'll need to reinstall any naviextras installed prior to the firmware update. This means 8100 users will need to re-install the updated maps from Naviextras that were provided for free.

Also, the notes say you'll need to reinstall any naviextras installed prior to the firmware update. This means 8100 users will need to re-install the updated maps from Naviextras that were provided for free.

I don't *think* you have to reinstall updated maps for the 8100, the firmware updates the nav database to an even newer version.

**Edit** No, you're right, after the firmware update it wants you to apply the patch again.

I am at a loss as well over the value of avicsync if you've already got android auto with traffic and such.. Other systems I understand, but can anyone tell me what else I get out of avicsync that I can't do through Android Auto? Maybe I'm missing the point... No way am I spending even more money past the price of the unit.. That's absurd.

I am at a loss as well over the value of avicsync if you've already got android auto with traffic and such.. Other systems I understand, but can anyone tell me what else I get out of avicsync that I can't do through Android Auto? Maybe I'm missing the point... No way am I spending even more money past the price of the unit.. That's absurd.

Yeah I hear ya. The only thing I've found so far that Avicsync has that Android Auto doesn't is current gas prices in the area and slightly more detailed weather. Can't speak for the parking info since it doesn't seem to work.

FYI - They include a free year of services and 30 days traffic. After that it's $15.37US/year for services, $23.53/year for traffic. The traffic part boggles my mind, Android Auto has built into Google Maps, and if you have a 8100 you already have free lifetime traffic lol.

So AvicSync only offers weather, traffic and parking info?

And gas prices and something called "online search" which I'm not sure what it is or how to access it.

Also, it includes a navigation app for your phone with a very similar interface to the NEX. You can sync info between the phone and head unit, and it remembers where you parked your car. The thing is that it includes the entire nav database which bloats the app to 2-3 GB. If you have a phone with limited space this is a problem.

I suppose there are times when having a standalone nav app for you phone without having to download map info could be handy. But the consensus seems to be that this offers very little over Android Auto or Apple Car Play.

Yeah I hear ya. The only thing I've found so far that Avicsync has that Android Auto doesn't is current gas prices in the area and slightly more detailed weather. Can't speak for the parking info since it doesn't seem to work.

FYI - They include a free year of services and 30 days traffic. After that it's $15.37US/year for services, $23.53/year for traffic. The traffic part boggles my mind, Android Auto has built into Google Maps, and if you have a 8100 you already have free lifetime traffic lol.

I think my 8100 has lifetime traffic as long as I am within radio range if the radio station broadcasting the data. The traffic subscription may become valuable if I am out of radio range in the country but still have Internet access via cell phone towers. I could still get updates such as if the interstate was shut down 10 miles ahead out in the country. This is all theoretical of course until proven true.

Yeah, I'm curious about the duplicate traffic source and why we'd bother paying for it. I'm also noticing that I still don't have speed cam warnings and other alerts that pioneer originally said would be part of Avicsync.... Those things aren't mentioned anywhere... Kind of sucks that 1.5 years late and this is what they have to show for it. My Toyota entune came with more connected features but their navigation sucks.

I think my 8100 has lifetime traffic as long as I am within radio range if the radio station broadcasting the data. The traffic subscription may become valuable if I am out of radio range in the country but still have Internet access via cell phone towers. I could still get updates such as if the interstate was shut down 10 miles ahead out in the country. This is all theoretical of course until proven true.

The traffic service through avicsync is through a different service as opposed to the one that is through the local radio towers which is typically slow to updating from what ive seen.... manual called out what exact service the avicsync is hitting for traffic but its not the same as what you have without it.