AVIC411.com

8100NEX v1.01 & iPhone 6 iOS v9.1 issues. (Sorry, long)

Hello all, newb here.  

I've been lurking for a bit and I'm not very tech savvy with A/V systems.  I did an extensive amount of searching here, the owners manual & Google/YouTube for help and still not confident on how to proceed.

I've seen there's updates for the 8000, but only map updates specifically for the 8100.  I've read about a 1.03 and 1.08 and see a 1.10 on Pioneer's firmware support page.

When I start the truck, I wait for the nag screen, "OK", then wait for the menu screen and map to load before moving.  I haven't connected my VSS wire to the instrument cluster, but the parking brake wire is grounded.

Once I connect my phone via the upper(?) USB socket, *sometimes* I can select music stored on my phone, Pandora, disc or HD radio.  Other times, there's no sound on any setting, even though I can see the music progress timer counting.  When this occurs, even if I unplug the phone and try to play music on the phone in my hand, there's no sound coming out of it either.  Other times, like last night, the phone will emit a solid screeching tone and won't stop until I hard boot it with the home button and lock button depressed at the same time.  Other times, the 8100 goes into a loading screen and will reboot itself 2 or 3 times before success.

After that, I can connect it again and everything works, albeit I'm considering throwing the 8100 and the phone in the river in that I'm not going to reboot the phone and the 8100 every time I go somewhere.  

I'm currently only using the front two speakers with a Metra wiring kit (the other 4 speakers are defeated) and no amplifier or sub.  

TIA to anyone willing to read this and offer suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Experiencing same thing with iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 9.1 and Avic-8100NEX F/W 1.03

Utilizing CarPlay via USB1 (Upper USB port).

As iPhone is muted when this happens even when unplugged from head unit USB, I'm thinking it's an Apple bug.

Upgraded this evening to iOS 9.2, Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Otherwise I'll contact Apple support, see if they have any better solution than hard resetting the iPhone each time this happens (Long press Home and Sleep button until Apple logo appears).

I'm having random reboots/crashes and sometimes no music playing when i see the counter moving as if it is playing.  I've heard the screeching (which I think is Siri's ding repeating over and over).  I am so disappointed so far.  I have my iphone 6 updated to iOS 9.2.  I'm running 1.03 firmware on my AVIC-8100.  I am going to try a replacement unit, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to downgrade to the 8000 and if that doesn't work, I'm going to give up and maybe try the non-carplay Alpine unit for the Escalade.  I just want a better NAV/Bluetooth Audio solution than what I had originally in my 2009 Escalade.  I want Carplay, but I can live with just bluetooth audio so I can stream Apple Music in the car without having to plug into an aux input in the back seat.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks to both of you for the replies, it's good to know I'm not alone, but we'd all rather spend time enjoying the units.

I tried some changes in the last week.

1) Firmware update to 1.03 and iOS 9.2

2) Called Pioneer and they suggested I try another iPhone.  I used my son's 5S & it works initially, but haven't tried using his phone for a day to see how it does with multiple trips (work, lunch, home) 

3) I turned bluetooth off and had success with multiple trips on music, texts & handsfree calls.  Is it normal to expect bluetooth to be off if plugged in instead?

4) I also tried not plugging the phone into an early build iPhone dock overnight for charging.  There's some random disconnect that occurs when docked.

I'm curious about the phone's status when plugging in the lightning cable on USB1.  Sometimes I plug in with with a clean slate on the phone, other times I leave music in a tab open when plugging in.  I'm trying to gather enough information from different trials to reach a favorable result.  

• 1 month later...

Experiencing same thing with iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 9.1 and Avic-8100NEX F/W 1.03

Utilizing CarPlay via USB1 (Upper USB port).

As iPhone is muted when this happens even when unplugged from head unit USB, I'm thinking it's an Apple bug.

Upgraded this evening to iOS 9.2, Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Otherwise I'll contact Apple support, see if they have any better solution than hard resetting the iPhone each time this happens (Long press Home and Sleep button until Apple logo appears).

Add to the list of experiencing this, so annoying! At one point I just stopped using CarPlay in all as I was constantly having to reboot my phone. Even got a new phone, same issue. I have since updated the Firmware too, to 1.05 and no change. Because this screeching sound still plays after disconnecting the phone from the cord, it must be an iOS issue, I would think.

To point 3 above: I never turn BT on ever if I'm using Carplay. Plugged in is the only way for me and I never had a crash. iPhone6, NEX 5000, all updates. Don't have BT on and Carplay plugged in at the same time

The only way I have been able to resolve this bug, was this, keep bluetooth setting on the AVIC NOT to auto-connect Bluetooth devices. Ever since then, no problems at all! Not the greatest workaround as I do not want to always plug my phone in, but then I lose Bluetooth call functionality as I cannot have the AVIC auto-connect with the phone. So I am stuck plugging my phone in every time I get in the car.

Try turning Bluetooth off on the phone or disable auto-connect on the AVIC itself. Would bet this issue then goes away. I actually heard about turning bluetooth off early back via this avic411 thread with a similar issue: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/81692-carplay-keeps-crashing-nex4000/

I fixed this bug by connecting iphone before turning on the car radio. By doing so, the iphone does not have time to establish a bluetooth connection and connects immediately with carplay.

I think it is a bug of airplay ios, which crashes in the switch between bluetooth and carplay mode.

When this crash occurs also affects coninuity features on mac.

I've experienced this problem as well.

the workaround I've found is to shut off the phone and restart it. It seems the Iphone will either make that annoying noise or not play at all when I start a car play app. If I turn the phone off and restart it it seems to solve the problem?

You'd think for the cost of this technology it should be seamless. (who am I trying to kid)

• 2 weeks later...