AVIC411.com

subwoofers dont hit hard hooked up to the radio

i have the amp for the subs and everything is the same as it was before i put the new radio in before i put this radio in i had a dual radio and they were hitting really hard and then i put the 5000nex in my truck and it barely wants to push them i have to turn the radio up to thirty just hear them hit i  have the subwoofer setting turned on on the radio i guess what im saying is how do u work the settings on the radio i have the crossover on the radio at 80hz and -12 thats the only place they really hit at 

Can you provide some details on what other equipment you have. In other words, please provide details of your signal chain. Is there an amplifier for those subs? How is the gain setting? What crossover setting are you using (either on the head unit or the amplifier)?

i have the pioneer nex 5000 with bose door speakers with alpine 1000w amp hooked up to 1 12 inch dual and 1 12 inch punch subwoofer the gain setting is up and i really dont understand how how to use the crossover on the radio im new to the whole touch screen technology for a radio 

Alright, lets start at the beginning - those paper thingies that came in the box with your new radio.

Make sure this is right:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/AVIC-5000NEX_InstallationManual011014.pdf

This will help show you how to use it:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/AVIC-5000NEX_OperationManual030714.pdf

You need to set the LPF crossover to 80 or lower, while the high pass filter HPF crossover, which is attached to your front speakers, should be above 80.  If you set the HPF's and not the low pass filters you will not get any bass because it will be turned off.  I cross at 80 LPF and 125 HPF with slopes of 12.

The LPF prevents sounds above the crossover point.  So for your subwoofer, anything above 80 will be phased out.  This lets your sub only be a sub which is what you want.

The HPF prevents sounds below the crossover point and protects your front speakers from blowing because of too much bass.

i have the amp for the subs and everything is the same as it was before i put the new radio in before i put this radio in i had a dual radio and they were hitting really hard and then i put the 5000nex in my truck and it barely wants to push them...

Assuming they hit hard with your old radio, the main question is how were they (more specifically the amplifier) connected to the old radio.

The reason I ask is if they were connected to the old radio via a speaker level interface, and still are via the 5000's speaker level outs, then increasing the cutoff frequency and slope of the HPF will actually remove low frequency content from what you hear.

If on the other hand both old and new radios were and are connected via RCA cables (line level outs), then something else is out of wack...

I'm having the same issue that cbergen470 is having.  Removed my old radio (Pioneer DEH-P9800BT) and installed my new radio (AVIC-7100NEX).  Everthing works fine except the bass.  It doesn't matter what source (Bluetooth Audio, HD Radio, SD Card or CD) I'm using, I can not get a good bass sound like I did with my old radio.  I have JL Audio Amp XD 600/1v2 running through 2 of my 10in Woofers inside my truck.  I decided to use the Radio LPF at 200Hz with a slope of -6 and all I was getting was the upper bass (150 - 250Hz) sound.  It barely gave me the low bass (0 - 80Hz).  So then I decided to turn off the LPF on my radio and use the Amp LPF.  Same result...not sure if its Pioneer Headunit or something else.

Salty -- I would suggest that your LPF at 200Hz is set way to high which is why you are hearing only the upper bass.  Take it down to 80 with a slope of 12 and see how it sounds.  Your front speakers should be crossed at around 100Hz and they can handle frequencies at 100Hz and up.

Salty, that definitely sounds like your amp set up is obtaining a signal from either a pre-out F/R RCA pair or speaker-level interface-crossover.

Turn the HPF frequency as low as it'll go and see if the bass output improves and report the result...

Another possible issue is your old unit has a Loudness feature which contours the EQ based on volume setting, usually boosting the bass and treble frequencies, the bass substantially more at lower levels.  The NEX series of HU's do not have the Loudness feature.  You get out what you have your EQ set at, plus/minus speaker level settings at all volume levels.

Some points to consider:

1. If your amplifier has crossovers for high and low pass frequencies, you'll want to disable those or set them to allow as much range as possible. The 8100 has built-in active frequency controls and does not require amp crossovers. Leaving amp crossovers on will reduce the amp output if the head unit is also filtering.(Crossovers for component tweeters don't count here, leave those alone!)

2. Understand how the 8100 crossover works, and the specifications of your speakers. For subs, frequency range and enclosure specs will factor here. Sealed or ported? If ported, what is your -3dB down slope tuned to? Once you understand these things, you can setup the NEX crossover to fit your speaker's output characteristics.

3. If all else fails, use the auto EQ function! Don't underestimate this powerful system function. Not only does it tailor the tuning of the system's crossover and EQ to your specific vehicle's speaker layout and type and output pathway, it also provides DSP timing values for the vehicle. Use the autoEQ configuration as a baseline and then tune to your listening preferences. The required Pioneer mic was $23 on Amazon when I bought mine.

My Jeep Wrangler has all JL Audio speakers paired to the XD/700 amp, and my 8W3V3 sub delivers a ton of bass with this setup...when I want it to. :)