AVIC411.com

Auto EQ Adjustment - Does it help?

was it a Pioneer mic? I have the mic that came with my Sony home theater receiver, would it work>

The only concern is whether or not the Sony and Pioneer mics have the same frequency response. If the sony mic "hears" differently then you'll basically be running auto EQ with an "uncalibrated" microphone. 

It's worth a shot, but if the results sound funny, it might be worth it to try the Pioneer mic.

The only concern is whether or not the Sony and Pioneer mics have the same frequency response. If the sony mic "hears" differently then you'll basically be running auto EQ with an "uncalibrated" microphone. 

It's worth a shot, but if the results sound funny, it might be worth it to try the Pioneer mic.

yeah true, I may just wait, but as you said, cant hurt to try I guess

Actually it was an Onkyo mic,worked just fine for me,made an very noticeable improvement in sound.

thanks!

I got the Pioneer mic and it made a noticeable difference for me. I have a Honda CRV with a factory amp and component speakers (tweeters/mids/sub). My Pioneer now makes much better use of the tweeters and sub using Auto EQ. When I change the listening position to Left Front (Driver), I get perfectly balanced stereo sound.

Some tips:

1. You need to do the calibration somewhere COMPLETELY quiet. Engine off, no talking, no cars passing, no planes overhead, no birds chirping.

2. Put the mic as close to where your ears are when you sit and face the mic forward (usually the front of the driver's headrest).

3. The calibration takes time, wait patiently outside your car for a solid 5 minutes.

4. If you have a system with an external amp, disable LPF/HPF and set the crossover as high a possible on your sub so the Pioneer can calibrate the proper crossover freqs.

My suggestion is to get the mic and try it. If you don't notice a difference or it seems worse, you might be able to return it depending on the store, or just sell it on eBay for the same price you bought it for. If you like what you hear, keep it since the Auto-EQ settings get deleted if you disconnect the battery (so annoying).

These are good tips, spot on.  Make sure to disable the amp crossovers so that the unit can figure out the crossover points.  I ran with and without my amp crossovers and had very different results with xover/EQ.  The great thing about it is the Time Alignment was perfect after this whereas I never could get it quite right manually using a tape measure.  Also the EQ settings get stored as the default  so you can still tweak it as if you were tweaking flat, so in my case i can drop 1k down a bit and still benefit from the auto corrected measurements.

Just one tip if you have a Sub, don't leave it with full gain when using AutoEQ. Use something like 1/3 of the gain so you can adjust it after the AutoEQ procedure.

Good point here as well.  Most people prefer a higher bass output in car due to road noise so when I first ran it, it ended up dropping my sub level by 13db.  So on the second run I set my sub amp level down to normal output level more matched with the components and that allowed me to increase the amp gain after measurement.

• 2 months later...

I too used the Denon Audyssey mic that came with my HT receiver to Auto EQ my 4100NEX, definitely brought up the mid and sound stage, imaging is improved too.  You still can fine tune it further with the 13 bands EQ afterward if there's certain frequency range seems off to your ears.

• 2 years later...
On 2016-04-01 at 4:04 AM, ben805 said:

I too used the Denon Audyssey mic that came with my HT receiver to Auto EQ my 4100NEX, definitely brought up the mid and sound stage, imaging is improved too.  You still can fine tune it further with the 13 bands EQ afterward if there's certain frequency range seems off to your ears.

Just curious, for those that used the Denon Audyssey mics, were they those black Eiffel towel looking ones? And did you follow the same instructions, sitting on driver seat  headrest facing the front windshield?

Where did you guys get your Denon Audyssey mics?

Looking at the Denon Audyssey mics online, there are many models designed for specific Denon receivers.

How would you select which version to use?

Thanks,

Jim

Edited by jrprich
  • 6 months later...