AVIC411.com

Should I update my 8100NEX with firmware v1.05?

I've downloaded the firmware update v1.05 for my 8100NEX, but the more I read here I'm sitting on the fence if it's actually worth doing the update. I'd appreciate your input on these questions:

1. AVICSYNC doesn't seem all that interesting to me and after the free trials end it's definitely priced out of my comfort zone. Is AVICSYNC a feature you would actually use and pay for when the trial ends?
  2. One poster here mentioned that the unit will be reset after the firmware update, and if I understand that correctly, I'd have to go through all customized settings again. Is this true?
  3. Is it also true that I have to re-install the 'free' map update we all got after the initial purchase? I'm on a Mac and this process was a bit cumbersome, to say the least.
  4. How does the additional Bluetooth install work? I read through the instructions but it wasn't clear to me if this runs automatically after the firmware update or if I need to initiate it separately.
  5. And, very important, can this update be done from an SD card as well? My USB 1 slot has a 30-pin iPod Classic cable directly connected to the head unit. I have no intention to pull the radio just to get AVICSYNC, if that's all this firmware update is providing.

Please help me decide if it's worth jumping through all these hoops. Are there any other feature updates worth considering in this new firmware?

Thank you.

I updated my 8100 without issue. Some answers to your questions:

1.AFAIK, avicsync is still not working...at least not for android 6.0.1. My app won't display the maps, and I also don't see much value to the app itself, apart from being able to program multi-stop routes from my phone. Even then, this functionality overlaps with other mapping apps, so the net-net isn't much, IMO.

2. My settings all carried over after the update.

3. I didn't have to reinstall any map files, but I haven't updated anything either, so can't comment.

4. I didn't update any Bluetooth components, but this may be handled automatically. Perhaps another user can compare Bluetooth versions before and after the update and report back.

5. I always use an SD card to perform the updates, for the same reasons you've identified. Note: follow the update instructions! You'll need an SD card larger than 2GB in capacity, and make sure you unpack/unzip the update directory to the ROOT directory of the SD card so that the update utility can find it. If the folder name, directory structure, or location (root directory) are incorrect, the update won't work.

I updated my 8100 without issue. Some answers to your questions:

1.AFAIK, avicsync is still not working...at least not for android 6.0.1. My app won't display the maps, and I also don't see much value to the app itself, apart from being able to program multi-stop routes from my phone. Even then, this functionality overlaps with other mapping apps, so the net-net isn't much, IMO.

2. My settings all carried over after the update.

3. I didn't have to reinstall any map files, but I haven't updated anything either, so can't comment.

4. I didn't update any Bluetooth components, but this may be handled automatically. Perhaps another user can compare Bluetooth versions before and after the update and report back.

5. I always use an SD card to perform the updates, for the same reasons you've identified. Note: follow the update instructions! You'll need an SD card larger than 2GB in capacity, and make sure you unpack/unzip the update directory to the ROOT directory of the SD card so that the update utility can find it. If the folder name, directory structure, or location (root directory) are incorrect, the update won't work.

Thank you, your answers are very helpful.

I just read the instructions again and noticed two things: it clearly states in the first bullet point on page one that after the firmware update the unit will be "reformatted to default settings", which differs from your update experience. And next it also states that any content added through Naviextras needs to be re-downloaded at no cost and reapplied – again contrary to your experience. Quite unclear, isn't it?

I'm still not really sure if I should do this update considering that I'm not interested in using AVICSYNC.

I updated it, and I've seen some strange behavior with regards to Android Auto. Android Auto itself runs as expected (though I'm not too fond of some of the app updates). However if I play music through Android Auto (for example, through Google Play Music), and then go back to the main menu to select another USB source (for example, an iPod), USB1 will remain at "Ready" until I unplug the phone from USB2, and then it will start playing. I can then get back into Android Auto by replugging the phone into USB2.

I don't think that's good. I wonder if I can go back to 1.03.

I updated it, and I've seen some strange behavior with regards to Android Auto. Android Auto itself runs as expected (though I'm not too fond of some of the app updates). However if I play music through Android Auto (for example, through Google Play Music), and then go back to the main menu to select another USB source (for example, an iPod), USB1 will remain at "Ready" until I unplug the phone from USB2, and then it will start playing. I can then get back into Android Auto by replugging the phone into USB2.

I don't think that's good. I wonder if I can go back to 1.03.

Sorry to hear that., I hope you'll be able to revert back to v1.03.

This and other posts around here convinced me not to update, the headhunt runs fine just now and the promised "minor bug fixes" are not worth the hassle. And AVICSYNC is off my radar anyway. Very poor Pioneer tech support indeed.

I created an account here just to let you and other users know that I've experienced problems with the new firmware and Android Auto. I have an 8100 NEX and a nexus 5 and a nexus 5X. The navigation feature in Android auto does not dim at night like it should with the new 1.05 firmware. I also had to blow away all my settings not because of the firmware upgrade but because Android auto failed to work on either Nexus device tonight. That made the Android auto work again but it still does not dim the map and night which makes it unusable at night. It uses the daytime map at night just to be clear. I hope this helps someone make a decision. Now I'm on to the next task which is finding out if I can roll back this update.

I created an account here just to let you and other users know that I've experienced problems with the new firmware and Android Auto. I have an 8100 NEX and a nexus 5 and a nexus 5X. The navigation feature in Android auto does not dim at night like it should with the new 1.05 firmware. I also had to blow away all my settings not because of the firmware upgrade but because Android auto failed to work on either Nexus device tonight. That made the Android auto work again but it still does not dim the map and night which makes it unusable at night. It uses the daytime map at night just to be clear. I hope this helps someone make a decision. Now I'm on to the next task which is finding out if I can roll back this update.

Good luck, unfortunately I can't help with that, I hope someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Hard to believe that after almost two years of waiting Pioneer released such an unfinished update.

• 1 month later...

hi,

i ran into issue with installing the firmware v1.05 this evening.  i followed all the instructions carefully.  the update from 1.01 to 1.05.  below is the sequence:

press start to start the update

1st update to 0... 100% passed

screen rebooted

2nd update 0....0% stucked here for few secs and then

failed update screen displayed.  instruction to press [home] button to recovery

press [home] button.  unit rebooted and 

nex logo displayed

then screen showed: update 0...0% ... stucked here for a few secs again

it looped through update 0...0% -> failed -> press [home] button to recovery -> unit rebooted...

so i couldn't reach pioneer support and i turned off my car.

what can i do?  please help... :(

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

i ran into issue with installing the firmware v1.05 this evening.  i followed all the instructions carefully.  the update from 1.01 to 1.05.  below is the sequence:

press start to start the update

1st update to 0... 100% passed

screen rebooted

2nd update 0....0% stucked here for few secs and then

nex logo displayed

then screen showed: update 0...0% ... stucked here for a few secs again

it looped through update 0...0% -> failed -> press [home] button to recovery -> unit rebooted...

so i couldn't reach pioneer support and i turned off my car.

what can i do?  please help... :(

I had the same issue... trying to push 1.03 on now... will report back.