AVIC411.com

No Carplay/Appradio mode NEX 8100

Hi All,

So just installed an 8100 and everything works great except carplay & appradio, aka two of main reasons I selected this unit. I plugged a non apple manufactured (but labeled as made for iPhone.... product) straight into the top USB slot and then ran an HDMI as well.  Just plugging in the lightning cable the iPhone doesn't even register as being charged (when using a wall charger this cable does work), so obviously never even given the option to use carplay.  After changing the settings and using the Apple AV connecter and the HDMI cable the apps button unlocks and then asks me on my phone to allow it to do its thing.  After clicking yes I can scroll through the apps when but when I launch waze it launches it on my phone then on the headunit asks me to open appradio again, which then closes waze..... so yeah that doesn't work. 

I'm getting a new manufactured by apple cable tomorrow but obviously i'm not very hopeful that will solve all my problems. Any thoughts, ideas, anything?

Everything else works fine XM, HD, bluetooth, etc. 

when you want to use Appradio, on the nex, in the smartphone settings, make sure the setting is set to digital av adapter,  then open app radio, then connect the cable. and whala, it should work, if it doesnt reboot your phone and retry,

to get apple car play to work, go back into smartphone settins, and set it to usb, also just use lightning cable without the apple connector for hdmi

when you want to use Appradio, on the nex, in the smartphone settings, make sure the setting is set to digital av adapter,  then open app radio, then connect the cable. and whala, it should work, if it doesnt reboot your phone and retry,

to get apple car play to work, go back into smartphone settins, and set it to usb, also just use lightning cable without the apple connector for hdmi

That's what I am doing. But neither Carplay or Appradio is working.  Just using the lightning cable the iPhone doesn't even say its being charged (again this cable worked on a wall outlet and when used on my laptop), and when switched over to Appradio it launches the app but only on the phone.

Regarding CarPlay: All you should need is a Lightning Cable and a compatible iPhone.

You have to go into Smartphone Settings (touch the "Gear" icon from the main menu to find it).
Select USB1 and CarPlay as your connection type.

Then simply connect your iPhone to USB1 (it has to be USB1) and enjoy  CarPlay.

As for AppRadio, as others have mentioned, you will need to have the Lightning/AV cable and use HDMI. CarPlay is a much superior option if you are an iPhone user.

So swapped the cable for an apple manufactured cable and got appradio to work, I can now launch CarPlay but it only shows a very small bit of of the screen and is totally unusable.  This is all I can see 

http://imgur.com/RZYLKl6

Thoughts?

Edit: in the small section of the screen where it displays I can move around the map when I open it but its just off center and not full screen.