AVIC411.com

AVH 4100NEX Firmware Update OK Bluetooth Update FAIL

Word of caution.

Have had the 4100NEX for 1 month.  Did the new 1.05 update from SD card.   The basic firmware update succeeded just fine.

Bluetooth update however failed.  It error-ed out after several minutes in the update process.    Bluetooth now completely non-functional.    On with Pioneer tech support who only suggested re-downloading the update and trying again. Same error.  They could not help with identifying error codes.

Their fix was to pull the unit and send to Alabama for repair. Would be out for weeks.

Fortunately dealer is exchanging it.

Word of caution.

Have had the 4100NEX for 1 month.  Did the new 1.05 update from SD card.   The basic firmware update succeeded just fine.

Bluetooth update however failed.  It error-ed out after several minutes in the update process.    Bluetooth now completely non-functional.    On with Pioneer tech support who only suggested re-downloading the update and trying again. Same error.  They could not help with identifying error codes.

Their fix was to pull the unit and send to Alabama for repair. Would be out for weeks.

Fortunately dealer is exchanging it.

Thanks for letting us know. What a bummer when the Bluetooth update fails, glad you got a replacement.

Does the Bluetooth update start automatically after the firmware update is completed, or do you have to initiate it separately?

Thanks for letting us know. What a bummer when the Bluetooth update fails, glad you got a replacement.

Does the Bluetooth update start automatically after the firmware update is completed, or do you have to initiate it separately?

You have to do it separately after the firmware update as per the install instructions. It took awhile to load for me on my 6000. I'll admit it made me nervous as it just says "Updating keep engine running". I knew something was happening as the usb drive kept flashing every so often.

You have to do it separately after the firmware update as per the install instructions. It took awhile to load for me on my 6000. I'll admit it made me nervous as it just says "Updating keep engine running". I knew something was happening as the usb drive kept flashing every so often.

I could not find Bluetooth install instructions, not here and not here. I did see a "Bluetooth" folder in the firmware update files and I assumed, maybe wrongly, that this is the Bluetooth update. If not, where can I find the Bluetooth update and the instructions?

Thank you!

Well, got the replacement installed.  Amazing how much faster to take apart and put back together than the initial install.

Only using Android Auto and decided to pass on the update.   It doesn't appear there is much that is critical or compelling in it.  Don't want to go through this again.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/PUSA/Car_Electronics/Firmware%20Update%20Files/AVICSYNC/15AVN_FW_Update%20Instructions_16G.pdf

It's right there on the 8100NEX pioneer webpage. Page 7 of the instructions tells you how to update. Follow the instructions for both the firmware and the BT update and you should be okay.

Thanks for the link, interesting – I downloaded these instructions a few days ago when the 1.05 update first came out and I just compared my earlier version with today's one and it's clear Pioneer forgot to mention the Bluetooth update the first time around.

I must say all this, and other poster's comments around here, don't give me confidence into installing this update. I can live with the system just fine as it works now, I'm not sure "minor bug fixes" warrant the risk of a major screw up.

I was a bit worried to do the '1.053' update on my 4100nex but went ahead with it since I saw some people said their touchscreen became more responsive.  I used a 16GB USB3 stick and made sure to disconnect everything from the HU (iPod, SD card, phone in airplane mode, etc).  I then followed the instructions and it updated rather quickly, however it now says '1.05' and not '1.053' but all is working well.  I thought it was supposed to lose all settings but it actually retained everything.  So then I proceeded to do the bluetooth update and it appeared to work, it said 'completed' and no more activity on the USB disk.  So I rebooted the HU and still shows the same BT version HW01-SW03.41.10.  Not going to bother more with it since Bluetooth has been working just fine.

• 1 month later...

Final report  on this.  Did the 1.05 update today on the 4100.   My first attempt resulted in loss of bluetooth and replacement of my 4100 (and the labor time).

Called Pioneer first because the previous instructions had included updating bluetooth right after the main 1.05 update. Bluetooth update is not a part of the current instructions.

I asked why.  The tech fessed up.  The 4100 update instructions were actually 4000 instructions that they cut and pasted to the website. The bluetooth update not only wasn't needed, as I found out the hard way, it took out bluetooth completely.

Update went fine.  No clue what if anything changed since there wasn't a specific list of what got addressed.

• 4 weeks later...

I was a bit worried to do the '1.053' update on my 4100nex but went ahead with it since I saw some people said their touchscreen became more responsive.  I used a 16GB USB3 stick and made sure to disconnect everything from the HU (iPod, SD card, phone in airplane mode, etc).  I then followed the instructions and it updated rather quickly, however it now says '1.05' and not '1.053' but all is working well.  I thought it was supposed to lose all settings but it actually retained everything.  So then I proceeded to do the bluetooth update and it appeared to work, it said 'completed' and no more activity on the USB disk.  So I rebooted the HU and still shows the same BT version HW01-SW03.41.10.  Not going to bother more with it since Bluetooth has been working just fine.

When you say it "retained everything", have you done the Auto EQ and Time Alignment with the optional microphone? I'm hesitant to do an update that only provides minor fixes if I have to go through setting up everything again. The Auto EQ is kind of a PITA, especially when I have to go find a quiet place to park and stand outside in the cold while it is underway.

Maybe I'll wait until late spring (unless you can give me some hope that I won't have to go through setup again)... :-)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

When you say it "retained everything", have you done the Auto EQ and Time Alignment with the optional microphone? I'm hesitant to do an update that only provides minor fixes if I have to go through setting up everything again. The Auto EQ is kind of a PITA, especially when I have to go find a quiet place to park and stand outside in the cold while it is underway.

Maybe I'll wait until late spring (unless you can give me some hope that I won't have to go through setup again)... :-)

Thanks!

For me it retained everything including Auto EQ and TA that I did with the Pioneer mic plus my tweaks to the timing. I took pictures of all the screens just in case because I expected them to get wiped out.

• 3 weeks later...