AVIC411.com

AVICSYNC app for iOS (iPhone 6)...sucks

I honestly don't see the point. Apple Maps is good enough where I live, and provides live traffic, and live rerouting, and is completely free. I wish Carplay would get google maps or Waze, but till then, I'm pretty happy with Apple carplay. 

Apple Maps is awesome.

But its A-GPS that is the problem. Great for cities. Stinks on the open road.

Plus Apple Maps lacks some core features for navigating on the open road.

I love iOS and CarPlay, after all I help manage 10,000 Macs at a major multimedia company. :)

But, Apple Maps is pretty worthless outside of the city. Just my opinion.

Apple Maps is a LOT better if you pair it to a GPS unit such as:

http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps150a/

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, maybe Pioneer went cheap and hired cheap/incompetent developers?

How else can you explain the #1 core reason for needing AVICSYNC (tapping into iOS contacts) does not work?

Someone at Pioneer should be fired. And someone's manager.

Agreed. 

Took a closer look, hoping maybe the initial Contacts sync needs to happen over Bluetooth. No luck. Nada. Zilch.

Even a fresh new contact, isn't seen by AVICSYNC. Internet searches work, I guess that's useful, since Apple Maps sucks on the open road.

I can't believe Pioneer management is so out of touch with their internal development group.

A feature is promised, and it only gains traction when a bunch of people complain.

Then the traction amounts to shipping a half baked product that doesn't do what it is advertised to do.

I guess incompetence is indeed marketable, thanks for showing us that, Pioneer.

I hope whoever you hired for $5 an hour helped a manager/director get that bonus check.

Ok anyone else have this problem? After the update to 1.11 I d/l'ed the app and you can't even go beyond the Accept page as the No/Yes touch doesn't work. Even connecting it to the NEX and trying to add the phone that way doesn't work as the screen won't let you click on the Add Phone area.

Someone at Pioneer was either drunk or asleep when they tested this obviously....

Anyone else have these same issues? Grumble....

to get past the ACCEPT screen on iphone you need to change your phones display setting from zoomed to standard

settings - display and brightness- view - (select standard)

you're welcome  :)

to get past the ACCEPT screen on iphone you need to change your phones display setting from zoomed to standard

settings - display and brightness- view - (select standard)

you're welcome  :)

Unfortunately not much to gain by accepting. LOL

Can't get NEX to recognize my iOS contacts.

• 1 year later...

I'd update my AVIC-8000nex to 1.11 and download avicsync on my Samsung Note 5 and connected to my 8000nex and it works. AVICsync will connect automatically when I plug in the USB cable, but have to manually exit the app when I unplug it. It works and everything, but I'm kind of upset due to the fact that I'd waited over a year to finally got AVICsync to work and come to find out, it wasn't free. You have to buy a yearly subscription. 1st for Connected services: North America - 1year for $15.99 and 2nd Live for HD Traffic: USA and Canada- 1 year for $24.99. I try clicking on it to make a purchase, the price is not as advertise as what on the app. They want $17.23 for 1 year of Connected service and $26.93 for Live HD Traffic. So the price is different from the app to app store.   

• 1 month later...

Possible solution.  

Hi all, new guy here.  8200NEX, iPhone 6, iOS 10.  

I couldn't associate my phone with the nav.  Followed instructions in manuals and even followed phone instructions from tech on phone.  Then watched the video (

) and noticed a difference.  

In the manual/phone, they say to start the app on your phone, then plug into your running head unit.  However in the video they show plugging into the running head unit and THEN starting up the phone app.  

So to be careful I did the following:

1.  Deleted app on iphone.

2.  Hard reset iphone, download app, once installed reset phone again. (probably overkill)

3.  Turn off bluetooth on iphone.

4.  Turn off Apple Car Play on head unit.  (Settings, input settings, smart phone)

5.  Ensure USB selected for smartphone setup (Settings, input settings, smart phone)

6.  Start up head unit, 

7.  Factory reset through nav settings on head unit, set up navigation initial options as required.  

8.  CONNECT PHONE TO USB FIRST.

9.  Open app on iphone, do set up steps.

10.  Automatically got a red bar across nav screen saying phone detected and if I want to associate.  Said yes, 10 seconds later got the option on phone to associate and said yes.  Phone connected!

11.  Tested by turning off ignition, unplugging phone, then ignition on, phone app on first, then plug phone and connected automatically to nav, no problem.  

12.  Turned bluetooth back on iphone, still connects and nav still connects to phone via usb.

13.  Turned off headunit, disconnect USB, download local map on iphone.

Here's the bad news.  I turned on the head unit, plugged in the usb, turned on the app and connected.  Great.  Then the head unit started to automatically sync the newest map from my phone.  Great.  After 24 seconds, my app shut down and the head unit said my phone was unavailable.  I couldn't reconnect.  I had to shut down the head unit, then start up and connect the phone again.  Started syncing again and after about 20 seconds the same thing happened.  

Any ideas?  I'm on hold now waiting to ask tech.  Hope my beginning steps help and someone can help me with the syncing.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, maybe Pioneer went cheap and hired cheap/incompetent developers?

How else can you explain the #1 core reason for needing AVICSYNC (tapping into iOS contacts) does not work?

Someone at Pioneer should be fired. And someone's manager.

Well, too bad JAMF doesn't do their software... ;)

Sup Don?

I have the 8200nex.  I was finally able to get the AVICSYNC app on an older iPod running iOS 9.x to update the Maps.  Well, I think it did.

So I downloaded the maps, etc. to the iPod.

I ran the sync (took me all day and numerous restarts) and it finally "finished".
Now, does that mean I can/should delete it from the iPod and iPhone, or leave it on there too?

Are Maps on the 8200 really updated?  This process really is awful and uses a good 4GB on the iPhone.