AVIC411.com

AppRadio 4 (sph-da120) recovery mode?

Hi everyone!

First post on this forum but I have been a long time lurker whilst researching which headunit to buy for my car so please be kind :).

As the title suggests I am having some pretty major issues with my stereo, the only blessing seems to be that it is software related (at least thats what I am hoping).

When driving home yesterday my head-unit rebooted randomly and then proceeded to get stuck on the pioneer loading screen (the second screen after the initial splash). I initially thought the unit had just crashed so I tried restarting the vehicle and I got the same behaviour again. Interestingly I can still hear the radio in the background whilst on this screen but none of the buttons on the device work so I cant adjust the volume etc.

I have tried pulling the head-unit out and leaving disconnected from power to see if that resets it but with no luck so far.

I have spoken with Pioneer and they have advised me to send the unit into a authorised repair centre, which I am ok with doing but would be very frustrating for what could be a simple software reset.

I have searched high and wide across the net and have not come across any instructions on how to put the device into recovery mode (presuming one exists that is..).

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction or propose anything that I could try?

Thanks for reading :)

Best Regards,

Alex

Are you already on FW 1.11? 

Since you head unit is already effectively "bricked", you can try to update the firmware to see if it'll take. If that doesn't work, then I'd probably send it in. 

Good luck.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio/AppRadio+4+(SPH-DA120)

Yea I am on currently on 1.11. 

Any ideas on how I could force the unit to update the firmware (if thats even possible?).

The typical process requires me to go into the settings menu and initialise it from there but as the unit wont boot past the loading screen im at a loss.

Thanks for the help.

Alex

• 1 year later...

I have the same situation, would really like to know if there is a fix for this !

I have actually taken the unit apart and found an SD card inside (4Gb Transcend) which if I plug into my computer does not register at all as if it is dead

I tried booting the unit without the SD card and I get a black screen telling me to take the unit to a Pioneer service center, put the SD card back in and and it goes back to trying to start and the constant rebooting thing. I suspect the SD card is faulty or corrupted but I have no way to know

I have the same situation, would really like to know if there is a fix for this !

I have actually taken the unit apart and found an SD card inside (4Gb Transcend) which if I plug into my computer does not register at all as if it is dead

I tried booting the unit without the SD card and I get a black screen telling me to take the unit to a Pioneer service center, put the SD card back in and and it goes back to trying to start and the constant rebooting thing. I suspect the SD card is faulty or corrupted but I have no way to know

Mine does something similar.  Mine will randomly reboot while I am driving.  Sometimes it will go three days without doing it...sometimes three or four times in a 10 minute drive.

I took it back to Cartoys and they sent it off for repair.  After three months, they sent it back and told me there was nothing wrong with it (with a charge to my credit card, no less).

I JUST wrote to Pioneer customer service and was told that it was a factory repair.  They want $185 to repair it.  No. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...