AVIC411.com

New NEX units now 8200 instead of 8100.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wireless Carplay was definitely my #1 request ... :(

Seriously.  WTF?!

Something is going on behind the scenes on wireless carplay.

Apparently the protocol is there and built into iOS9, and is "available for for partners to use it".

But when Volkswagon planned to demo it at CES... Apple asked them not to.

Check it out...

http://9to5mac.com/2016/01/08/vw-wireless-carplay/

Hey they were drinking the sweet sweet money of no real competition for a year. I'm sure they thought no one was going to ever try.

As more and more factory radios incorporate Andriod Auto & CarPlay in their offering, that competiton will be stiffer. They need to stay 10-steps ahead of the factory curve for their flagship aftermarket units.

Finally got an answer through a YouTube video. The big changes with this year are auto switching between android auto and CarPlay and more powerful idatalink support. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bGUeUL3-xKA

Looks like it also has the Gauge Support that most users have wanted too. Hopefully if the internals are the same we can get the cross firmware upgrade working on older units.

the additional idatalink features are actually huge for those of us that have the ability to use them, I was running a Kenwood dnx890hd in my 2011 Mustang with the Maestro rr module, and their MUS1 dash panel with integrated climate controls and OBDII data which was amazing, I just didnt like the Kenwood, so I stepped up to the 8100nex, but I lost the climate controls and OBDII data, which now the 8200 has, Im kinda pissed now! but I couldnt be happier with the 8100nex over the Kenwood, I just dont get all the bitching some members do, the Pioneer is far and away better than any Kenwood offerings imo

the additional idatalink features are actually huge for those of us that have the ability to use them, I was running a Kenwood dnx890hd in my 2011 Mustang with the Maestro rr module, and their MUS1 dash panel with integrated climate controls and OBDII data which was amazing, I just didnt like the Kenwood, so I stepped up to the 8100nex, but I lost the climate controls and OBDII data, which now the 8200 has, Im kinda pissed now! but I couldnt be happier with the 8100nex over the Kenwood, I just dont get all the bitching some members do, the Pioneer is far and away better than any Kenwood offerings imo

I watched the CES demos of the original nex units. The 4000-8000. They were supposed to have these features from the start. Hell. The demos were nearly identical. This is not guaranteed until they launch and honestly there are better radios from Kenwood for that money that are where people's money should go if they want those features. Me? I don't give a damn about that. My car doesn't have that. I'm buying the JBL radio. 400 bucks for capacitive is nice for me.

I watched the CES demos of the original nex units. The 4000-8000. They were supposed to have these features from the start. Hell. The demos were nearly identical. This is not guaranteed until they launch and honestly there are better radios from Kenwood for that money that are where people's money should go if they want those features. Me? I don't give a damn about that. My car doesn't have that. I'm buying the JBL radio. 400 bucks for capacitive is nice for me.

Anybody know if the JBL has time alignment and decent EQ and all that?

The big upgrade for Pioneers this year is full Maestro support, it's a very cool system and more and more vehicles are being added to support it via iData.   I played with the JBL unit quite a bit at CES, and it is nice. It is aimed at the entry consumer market with a basic audio feature set (as shown at the show at least).  Dual pre-outs, no SXM or HD Radio support.  It is a nice clean GUI and fast for what it is.  One feature dual phone families with like is it allows you to hot swap between Carplay and Android Auto - no need to toggle it in a menu.  Pioneer has better support for that this year, but still requires a manual change, so better but not perfect :) 

The JBL is as small a screen as you can go and still use AA as it's been explained to me.  6.5" is the cutoff, that is why you don't see it on more 6" models from Pioneer, Kenwood etc - those are usually 6.1 or 6.2" sizes. 

The Pioneers are still a way more advanced unit audio wise, interface wise etc.  And Kenwood is looking much much better this year too with their new GUI and screens.

Loosing mirror link is not a big deal in my market, support by phones was very poor and generally was more of a pain than a feature.. More the phone makers problem than Pioneer or anyone else IMO.

It's great to see more brands getting into the Carplay and interface market as that helps drive innovation and new features etc.

As for the capacitive touch screen - it's by far the coolest looking screen type IMO, but doesn't work with gloves well... I was very happy with the Pioneer Cap/Res screens we saw on the 4100-7100 last year and as far as I know they are the same this year for the NEX-X200 models.