AVIC411.com

Carplay getting major updates with iOS 9.3

New features include finally incorporating the "For You" and "What's new" sections of Apple music right in carplay, vast improvements to radio station discovery, and more. The music app has been revamped top to bottom. 

The Maps app also gains the new features of iOS 9, so you can browse for locations based on type, and it gives star ratings to the locations based on yelp reviews. Very nice IMO. Finally showing off what carplay can really do. Buy a radio once and get updates for life constantly making the radio better through your iPhone. 

http://9to5mac.com/2016/01/11/ios-9-3-apple-music-maps-carplay-video/full details here.

Hopefully it doesn't require Pioneer to also facilitate firmware updates. Has to be a nightmare for the radio manufacturers to try and keep their products updated with iPhone and Android advances. How many times has the firmware on the iPhone been updated this past year alone? Thanks for the update danny!

Major update would be wireless & support for other navigation apps like Waze.  As dvboy mentioned it would be great to find out these existing ones could do wireless.

I'm only interested if it goes wireless,hoping the hardware on the current units are capable of it.

Sorry guys that's not possible. None of the Pioneer units have built in Wifi. The Alpine ILX-007 had a dormant Wifi Chip on the launch units, but later machines didn't. Bluetooth doesn't have the bandwidth and I doubt Pioneer will support using a USB Wifi stick with the units. 

Possibly the new units coming out of CES could have dormant wifi with carplay in mind, but that's unlikely as well. 

• 1 month later...

I'm not convinced Apple is going allow third party navigation apps like Waze to work in CarPlay. Too many distractions. I complained for the longest time about how bare bones the CarPlay Maps function is, but then I've grown to appreciate how simple it is. Less to look at, less distraction.

I"m not sure how well it looks with Carplay, but with Android Auto, the maps are not useful at all, except when I need to use my voice to navigate.  I wish the built in had voice recognition like my old Kenwood 990hd

Carplay with 9.3 has gotten a lot better in this respect. 

For me on my 8100, it's washed out looking... as long as I have the 'Traffic' on it's somewhat readable with the green and red lines.... it's why I use the built in for most things, but use AA for voice command navigation, unless I'm stopped and can tak the time to manually type the location in.

• 3 weeks later...

CarPlay in 9.3 beta 7 is actually pretty good now. A few bugs I submitted have been squashed, although there's still an issue where if Siri requires a second response it'll boot you back to the app's main screen. Ex. "Take me to John's." Siri responds with, "Home or Work?" Then it boots you back to Maps main screen without waiting for a reply. Supremely annoying.

BUT, I can live with that as CarPlay is pretty solid now and quicker.