AVIC411.com

Do you use Navi on your Nex

Maps is not the issue for me. I can find every addressed I needed/wanted on it.

It was the routing.

The real time ~analysis~ via Waze/Google always offers the best routes possible .

For example, if I'm heading to X, at my desk, I'll launch G Maps, route the address and I will take the ~other~ route versus the route I would normally take, based on traffic conditions. Saved me 20-25 minutes of commute time.

There is also a routing update patch that is free. Have you synced your unit with Naviextras and seen if there are any free updates available? Might help the routing problem.

The new AVICSYNC system uses the Tom Tom traffic system (another subscription but free 30 day trial) vs the Clear Channel Total Traffic system that is hardwired into the unit. I've found that routes much better as it uses your phone to keep up with the traffic conditions better.

I love Waze. Can't beat peer reviewed real time info. If that ever became a CarPlay featured app. I would use it ALOT more that the Poineer Nav. It is the best at routing around traffic for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I can switch between the Navi and Android Autos maps without any problems.. I have the Navi on all the time, and use AA for voice searches and sometimes Navigating when I'm driving... too hard to set a destination while driving on the builtin Navi.

That is one feature I miss from the Kenwood 990HD I used to have....

Actually the AVICSYNC features are pretty cool.  The parking spot feature is nice when you get into a major city area.  I have let my AVICSYNC traffic expire as my 6000NEX has the built in Clear Channel Traffic, which works just fine for me.  I also updated my maps to 2015 Q2, and that has been a great upgrade vs the old 2013 Q2.  All the POIs are current, and the newer map graphics are nicer. Overall, happy with the built in Nav, but I agree it is cumbersome to try and type in a new destination while driving.  Be nice if you could use AVICSYNC to coordinate with Siri or AA to verbally ask for directions.  That would make AVICSYNC a killer app, and I might actually spend money renewing it! Ha

I agree, it would be nice if someone would write a script/app that could take the voice commands from AndroidAuto/CarPlay and send them to the Navi.

I'm not a fan of the video output from AA (and I'm sure it's the same with CarPlay) as it looks way to washed out.  Very hard to read at a glance as opposed to the Navi from the 8100 I have.

THough I'm not a programmer, I can't imagine that it's very hard to set that up.  I'm sure the only thing keeping it from happening is Google/iGo

• 3 weeks later...

you guys are happy with the maps??  I have an 8000 and it's the worst mapping software I have ever laid eyes on.  Navigation has always been fine.  But the maps...oh my #@#$R#@ GOD!!  Try starting down the freeway and expand out so you can see the highway and what's ahead in 10 miles.  Unless I have a defective unit, cannot be done.  If you expand the map, it throws a bunch of junk on the screen and does not follow you.  I've never seen anything like it and I'm going another route because of it.  I KNOW WHAT'S A MILE IN FRONT OF ME PIONEER!  I CAN SEE THAT FAR!!!  Sorry for the rant...

you guys are happy with the maps??  I have an 8000 and it's the worst mapping software I have ever laid eyes on.  Navigation has always been fine.  But the maps...oh my #@#$R#@ GOD!!  Try starting down the freeway and expand out so you can see the highway and what's ahead in 10 miles.  Unless I have a defective unit, cannot be done.  If you expand the map, it throws a bunch of junk on the screen and does not follow you.  I've never seen anything like it and I'm going another route because of it.  I KNOW WHAT'S A MILE IN FRONT OF ME PIONEER!  I CAN SEE THAT FAR!!!  Sorry for the rant...

What map version do you have?  I updated to the 2015 Q2, and they are way better than the older versions.  Agree the map functionality and zoom out could be better, but its not a lot different than any of the other systems out there.  What other in-car nav system works better?  Even trying to scroll out on Waze, Garmin, Google Maps, or Apple Maps is painful.

Waze zooms in and out great!  So does Google maps.  I'm not sure what problem you are having there.  I've tried various mirroring apps for my phone so I could use those maps, but unfortunately, all the apps reduce the screen size of the maps...which kind of defeats the purpose.  Android Auto shows promise, but you have to upgrade to the 8100 or 8200 to get it...and if I spend money on anything, it won't be on a Pioneer.  It will be something that gives me the mapping software I want.  The maps in all my AVIC-Z* units all zoomed in and out manually without any loss of function.  Impossible on the 8000.  I still have a couple of those units and I'm tempted to reinstall one.  But man...the rest of the 8000 is so superior to an old Z series.

Did the map upgrade change the zoom functionality at all?

Seriously...if I need to have a decent mapping system up, I have to resort to Waze or Google on my phone and use it...and that's a shame after what I paid for this thing.

I am pretty sure there is a setting in there to eliminate that,I had the same issue and it pissed me off at the start.Reality is it only zooms out if you are on a long road with no turns coming up,so it's no big deal,as soon as a change of direction is coming up it will zoom back in again.

If you read the thread, you will see my opinion of the maps.  For me, it's a deal breaker and I'm going to do something about it...including considering going back to a Z series.  The maps in that are so superior.  However, the NEX series is superior in every other way...especially Bluetooth.  No comparison there.  Navigation is about the same for either with a slight nod to the Z series because it's not so annoying.  But the NEX navigation is still pretty darn good.