AVIC411.com

AVIC F-940BT firmware update

Hi all,

as I am new, sorry maybe that this case was already posted before, but couldn't find a close answer yet !

So, I've a F940BT, was placed in my second hand car, bought in the beginning of February 2016.

So, I would like to have a map update on that, Europe 2015 should be nice, but therefore my firmware needs to be updated (answer of Pioneer Belgium)!

This is what I have now:

- Platform Version: 4.000
- Application Version: 4.010
- Bluetooth Firmware Version: 3.24
- Mecah Version: 01.01.03.00.FF

After mailing with P. Support they sent me a file since this update was prior to the mapupdate.

Name of file: AVIC-F40BT_FW-Update_v4.600

After upzipping you receive:

- AVICZ110

- Testmode.key

- Firmware

The first two, AVICZ110 and Testmode.key, were copied unto a microSD and I followed the procedure written by Pioneer.

But at number 7 in the update manual: Confirm (1) the SD version is "8.05" and (2) the uCom version is "8.04" or earlier, I saw that the SD version mentioned "-----------".

Concerning the manual, this could happen and this is due to a corrupt file ???

I received the file from Pioneer itself, so unzipped it again, same problem.

My questions:

- what can I do since the update didn't finish ?

- what happened actually with my system since the first update went fine (number 5 in the update manual) but this last part didn't ?

The system itself works still the same, only it boots a little bit slower.

I hope your expertise will help me out !

Many thanks in advance.

post-136109-0-06740800-1457193396_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering why you didn't copy everything over to the sd card.

Anyway, there's no harm in re-running the update until it works correctly... and make sure everything is on the sd card.

I have a different system, but after the update, I still had to manually go into the menu system and select the menu to update the bluetooth version while the sd card was still installed.

I'm wondering why you didn't copy everything over to the sd card.

Anyway, there's no harm in re-running the update until it works correctly... and make sure everything is on the sd card.

I have a different system, but after the update, I still had to manually go into the menu system and select the menu to update the bluetooth version while the sd card was still installed.

Dear Blackstone,

thnx for your reply. The reason why I didn't all 3 files/folders is because Pioneer clearly stated that you have to do the update first with these two files, AVICZ110 and Testmode.key, when this is done, you delete these files from the SD card, and then copy the third file, Firmware, since this will update your bluetooth version.

So following your suggestion, I just will put those 3 files on the SD card, right ?

Following this, should me help to pass through number 7, SD version "-----" ??

Grtz

You stated the update didn't finish.  That is why the version is blank.

The update does take a long time, so be patient and retry.

There are several reasons that updating fails.  Sometimes unzipping directly to the sd card is the problem.  Try unzipping to the desktop and then copying to the sd card.

Also, make sure the sd card is formatted correctly(fat32, 16k allocation, full format) and is one of the 4gb or 8gb in size as larger sd cards seem to have a problem sometimes.

If your unit is like mine, the Bluetooth update is a manual process and doesn't update from a boot to sd card.

I don't believe having all folders/files on the sd card at the same time matters(didn't for me), but I'll defer to the Pioneer manual.

Hey Blackstone,

Indeed I stated that the update did'nt finish, just because I couldn't pass further after SD version "----" ... you have to press the MODE button, but nothing happened.

So in fact, the real updating process starts after this, and not in the beginning since it's just copying the files ...

But I will reformat the SD micorcard, since it was formated like fat32, 32k. It's a 8Gb version.

Concerning the Bluetooth, sounds logic, will do this as you stated.

Keep you updated ...

PS: for some reason can't upload pic's ...

Hi all,

as I am new, sorry maybe that this case was already posted before, but couldn't find a close answer yet !

So, I've a F940BT, was placed in my second hand car, bought in the beginning of February 2016.

So, I would like to have a map update on that, Europe 2015 should be nice, but therefore my firmware needs to be updated (answer of Pioneer Belgium)!

This is what I have now:

- Platform Version: 4.000

- Application Version: 4.010

- Bluetooth Firmware Version: 3.24

- Mecah Version: 01.01.03.00.FF

After mailing with P. Support they sent me a file since this update was prior to the mapupdate.

Name of file: AVIC-F40BT_FW-Update_v4.600

After upzipping you receive:

- AVICZ110

- Testmode.key

- Firmware

The first two, AVICZ110 and Testmode.key, were copied unto a microSD and I followed the procedure written by Pioneer.

But at number 7 in the update manual: Confirm (1) the SD version is "8.05" and (2) the uCom version is "8.04" or earlier, I saw that the SD version mentioned "-----------".

Concerning the manual, this could happen and this is due to a corrupt file ???

I received the file from Pioneer itself, so unzipped it again, same problem.

My questions:

- what can I do since the update didn't finish ?

- what happened actually with my system since the first update went fine (number 5 in the update manual) but this last part didn't ?

The system itself works still the same, only it boots a little bit slower.

I hope your expertise will help me out !

Many thanks in advance.

Duke_BE -> When you get to step 7 and see the screen that you posted an image of - make sure that the media storage selected is "SD". Notice in your image it says "USB". You use the track left/right arrows to change this. That might explain why your new files were not found.

Also - just a warning. This procedure unfortunately requires you to use Testmode to install the new files. Testmode can be very dangerous. Other people have accidently bricked their unit by choosing the wrong menu item. For example in step 6, make sure you are on menu item 1 "System uCom Write", and not "System uCom All Write". 

Duke_BE -> When you get to step 7 and see the screen that you posted an image of - make sure that the media storage selected is "SD". Notice in your image it says "USB". You use the track left/right arrows to change this. That might explain why your new files were not found.

Also - just a warning. This procedure unfortunately requires you to use Testmode to install the new files. Testmode can be very dangerous. Other people have accidently bricked their unit by choosing the wrong menu item. For example in step 6, make sure you are on menu item 1 "System uCom Write", and not "System uCom All Write". 

I'm quit sure it was on SD ... but I will verify it again ...

So, stupid question maybe, when it's red highlighted, it's the right option, correct ?

Looking to a capture of the manual, which I attached, it is on SD, right ?

Also, thank you for your warning, but also for this case I used the default setting: System uCom Write.

what do thet mean with: for F-940BT, Multicontrol is used instead of the VOL(+/-) button ?

post-136109-0-78320600-1457351360_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure - I have -+ buttons on the Z110. I think that means the volume knob.

Yes, it appears that the red in the image is the current selection. I don't think the actual headunit display uses colors (at least on mine). It uses inverse highlighting instead.

Another thing to add to Blakestone's tips. Some unzip methods give problems. I know WinZip7 works. But some uncompress the files into a flat structure and not in the correct directory tree structure.

Also, is there a reason you are installing v4.6 instead of just installing the 2015 (v6.0) with all new maps and apps? Do you need Lightning support for an iPhone?

I'm not sure - I have -+ buttons on the Z110. I think that means the volume knob.

Yes, it appears that the red in the image is the current selection. I don't think the actual headunit display uses colors (at least on mine). It uses inverse highlighting instead.

Another thing to add to Blakestone's tips. Some unzip methods give problems. I know WinZip7 works. But some uncompress the files into a flat structure and not in the correct directory tree structure.

Also, is there a reason you are installing v4.6 instead of just installing the 2015 (v6.0) with all new maps and apps? Do you need Lightning support for an iPhone?

Dear RonS,

Very good questions at the bottom of your post ... :-)

Well, actually, I don't know, I just want to update my maps, that's all, since this was never done before (I guess, how to check which version of maps is installed ??), and that was also Pioneer's first statement: if you want to update your maps, you have to update your firmware to 4.6. From then on, you can buy the EUmaps2015 where the update to, I assume v6.0, is included).

So, what do you recommend then ?

I need to be sure that if I buy the EUmaps2015 this can be installed on the unit I've now ...

Lighting support, is included in this EUmaps2015 update ?

I really would like to have it as well ...

Now I'm totally lost ... :-)

PS: I also posted this issue to Pioneer Support, they just say: We're sorry you can not update to 4.6 ... :-( 

Pioneer's first statement: if you want to update your maps, you have to update your firmware to 4.6. From then on, you can buy the EUmaps2015 where the update to, I assume v6.0, is included).

That is not correct. You can install the 2015 maps (which also installs V6.0) without installing v4.6. However, I think the uCom upgrade is needed for Lightning support.  The whole purpose of 4.6 was a patch to fix v4.0's Lightning support. It was release mid-year about the time the v5.0 upgrade was released. There is also a v5.1 patch to fix the same issue for those running 5.0.

The way I understand it - you need to install either 4.6 or 5.1 (depending on whether you are on 4.0 or 5.0) before installing v6.0 if you need Lightning support. It seems that you can't do this after installing v6.0. So I am guessing that the major annual upgrades don't include uCom drivers.

I can't seem to find much on the EU Pioneer web site but I found this on the US one. I think the F-940bt is the EU version of the US/Can X-940bt. So this info might pertain. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-Z140BH?tab=firmware

I just thought of something important. Are you using a Mac to unzip the files?

I just thought of something important. Are you using a Mac to unzip the files?

No, I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit, unzipping was done by 7-zip.

It is indeed correct what you stated, that this 4.6 version is mainly for the Lightning support and needs to be done prior to the EUmap2015 update ...

Anyway, I was not able to do this update to 4.6 again with all tips and tricks I just heard here, ... but I'll keep you posted and hopefully I will not 'burn' the thing ... :-)

I checked your website, indeed, the X-940BT is for US/Canada ... nice thing that they still have the drivers online, EU support site doesn't mentioned anything ...

• 4 weeks later...