AVIC411.com

2015 Q3 Maps Available

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has to realize that when they buy anything that is based on technology that it will be outdated very soon.... updates will happen, but only when the manufacture feels it's ready.

And if they use someone else's technology they are not in control of updates for that.

We can all wish that we get free anything, but that does not make sense for a company.  They need to make money, even the map makers need to make money or nothing would get updated or even made.

If you bought something and tomorrow it gets replaced, then you didn't do you due diligence to see if it's at the end of it's life cycle.

I bought my 8100 a month before the 8200 came out and I knew that.  I got the 8100 cheeper because of it.  I knew that I might not see many updates after.

Kenwood, Alpine, and the rest all do this.... so get over it!

Everyone has to realize that when they buy anything that is based on technology that it will be outdated very soon.... updates will happen, but only when the manufacture feels it's ready.

And if they use someone else's technology they are not in control of updates for that.

We can all wish that we get free anything, but that does not make sense for a company.  They need to make money, even the map makers need to make money or nothing would get updated or even made.

If you bought something and tomorrow it gets replaced, then you didn't do you due diligence to see if it's at the end of it's life cycle.

I bought my 8100 a month before the 8200 came out and I knew that.  I got the 8100 cheeper because of it.  I knew that I might not see many updates after.

Kenwood, Alpine, and the rest all do this.... so get over it!

I disagree,we aren't talking about a technology item here,we're talking about a MAP update.Maps have been around for 100's of years.

I disagree,we aren't talking about a technology item here,we're talking about a MAP update.Maps have been around for 100's of years.

The way that the maps are created is still technology...

it still takes time to code them properly, thus a cost for the company.  It's not like they just make themselves.  8)

This is why they charge...

I of course wish I could get the updates for more than 'once', I'm at 2015 Q2, Q3 can't be much more in my area... but someone that lives in an area that is developing it might be nice to have the latest.

it still takes time to code them properly, thus a cost for the company.  It's not like they just make themselves.   8)

That's a fair assessment and likely a lucrative business model for them. :)

However, Apple CarPlay Maps is updated continuously, and we don't get charged. So is Android Auto maps. So is Waze maps.

So I don't buy into the "they don't update themselves; you've gotta pay" bit.

Someone has a "lock" and is able to milk their customers, and they will continue to do so, until a better solution comes along.

Trust me, once CarPlay Maps and/or Android Auto Maps have the features I need, Pioneer can shove their maps fee up their CAN bus.

Sorry for being snarky, but I have very little tolerance for companies that rape their customers.

PS, this is why I hold on to my Dual XGPS160, so CarPlay Maps can have real GPS...connecting to a CarPlay unit doesn't solve the A-GPS issue. ;)

Thanks,

Don

I'm trying to download this update to an 8GB USB stick, I get an unspecified error on one of the South Carolina maps which won't complete the download successfully. I've opened two tickets with NAVIEXTRAS.

Do they ever respond to support issues?

That's a fair assessment and likely a lucrative business model for them. :)

However, Apple CarPlay Maps is updated continuously, and we don't get charged. So is Android Auto maps. So is Waze maps.

So I don't but into the "they don't update themselves; you've gotta pay" bit.

Someone has a "lock" and is able to milk their customers, and they will continue to do so, until a better solution comes along.

Trust me, once CarPlay Maps and/or Android Auto Maps have the features I need, Pioneer can shove their maps fee up their CAN bus.

Sorry for being snarky, but I have very little tolerance for companies that rape their customers.

The thing about Google and Apple is that they collect info about where you go, and I'm sure they use it to make money somehow.

THe unit in your car doesn't send that kind of info.  If it could I"m sure those maps would become free.  8)

I'm not sure about CarPlay, but Android Auto maps are VERY poor quality in comparison to the 8100 built in maps.

I only seem to use the AA maps because I can talk to my phone to get them.  I can't talk to the 8100 for navigation. This was something I had with the Kenwood 990HD I used to have.  It wasn't great, but something is better than nothing.  8)

The thing about Google and Apple is that they collect info about where you go, and I'm sure they use it to make money somehow.

THe unit in your car doesn't send that kind of info.  If it could I"m sure those maps would become free.   8)

I'm not sure about CarPlay, but Android Auto maps are VERY poor quality in comparison to the 8100 built in maps.

I only seem to use the AA maps because I can talk to my phone to get them.  I can't talk to the 8100 for navigation. This was something I had with the Kenwood 990HD I used to have.  It wasn't great, but something is better than nothing.   8)

I think the take away is to tolerate some whining from folks, including me, who are just not happy about being charged for map updates.

I wouldn't mind paying $100 for lifetime map updates. That's reasonable. But $149 for every quarterly update is not acceptable.

Saying "get over it" is a little condescending. ;)

Don

I think the take away is to tolerate some whining from folks, including me, who are just not happy about being charged for map updates.

I wouldn't mind paying $100 for lifetime map updates. That's reasonable. But $149 for every quarterly update is not acceptable.

Saying "get over it" is a little condescending. ;)

Don

Yea, it was harsh, I'll admit.  I see that kind of attitude on a lot of forums, so I had to put my nickel in.   8)

Although I never saw any updates from Garmin for the Kenwoods in the 2 years I had it.... so as long as there are updates you are right about the fee.... I'd rather see 6 months or 1 year up front, then a fee after that.  If they are doing updates every quarter, then maybe 2 or 3 free ones, then charge after that.

But I think a lot of people update their units so fast it might not be worth the fee.  The above fee would be for those that keep their units for 2-5 years....

I know this might be hard, but it would be nice to know what updates are in each one.... going from 2015 Q2 to Q3 might not be worth $150, but going from 2015 Q2 to 2016 Q2 might be ....

I decided not to update the maps on my 8100NEX at the current price. Maybe they come down if no one buys. I can get a new Garmin or TomTom unit with Lifetime Maps for a fraction of the Naviextras map price alone.

In fact, I'm just now looking on Ebay for a used TomTom unit for my daughter, the 5" TomTom XXL model with lifetime maps ranges from $20 to $40.

No Naviextras rip-off for me!