AVIC411.com

Sometimes no sound at startup

I just returned from my second visit to our local BestBuy installer, very nice and extremely helpful – but my sometimes-no-sound-at-startup issue still persists. My 8100 starts up fine, I can interact on the touchscreen, change channels and sources, increase and decrease audio volume, but no sound is playing.

Someone here suggested to turn off the car, open the door to turn off the radio, close the door again and restart the car – this normally works to get the sound back, provided I'm in an environment where I can stop the car and do all these steps.

It all started when we updated the firmware of the Maestro RR module to the current v3.2, before that all worked fine. I called the Maestro support and they hadn't heard of this problem and suggested to reset the RR module.

Today the installer, Spencer, from BestBuy called the Maestro tech support to find out what options we have and it was suggested to downgrade the firmware to v3.1, the one that had worked fine before. Spencer did the firmware flash and tested everything, all worked fine, and he put it all back together. 

When I started the car to drive off, there was no sound again – how strange! 

Spencer opened everything again, checked cable connections, played with the 8100 settings, but nothing worked. Restarting the car did work. We clearly were back to square one.

Then Spencer suggested to add a power switch to the radio to avoid stopping the car and opening and closing the door, but after some more thought he wasn't even sure if this would actually work. He seems to think the power switch should be between the Maestro RR module and the head unit ... I can't comment on this as this is above my pay grade, but he says it doesn't seem as straight forward as putting the power switch at the main 12V input cable. He thinks the problem likely lies in the sequence of data transmission between the car, the Maestro and the 8100.

Has anyone here encountered this issue? And if yes, was it possible to get it resolved?

My 8100 on a couple occasions with my current iPod Touch, it will be playing music then ..... no audio.... the progress bar is moving but no sound....

This seems to happen after a long time playing, 2-3 hours...(long drive)

nothing but a restart of the car will fix it.

You'd think that maybe it's just getting to hot, but my radio sits just under the vents for the AC, and the past time it happened I had the AC on.

My 8100 on a couple occasions with my current iPod Touch, it will be playing music then ..... no audio.... the progress bar is moving but no sound....

This seems to happen after a long time playing, 2-3 hours...(long drive)

nothing but a restart of the car will fix it.

You'd think that maybe it's just getting to hot, but my radio sits just under the vents for the AC, and the past time it happened I had the AC on.

For me it's the opposite, the radio sometimes has no sound at startup, and a restart is required, but long drives work fine once the sound is established.

For anyone who may face a similar issue, we seem to get closer to a resolution. I had posted the same question over at the Maestro RR user forum and got this response: "If you have the amp menu, that's a good thing. The engineer recommends updating the RR's firmware to v 3.3 (we just updated it today), and it should resolve this issue.â€

I'll get the flash in the next days and report back how it goes.

It seems that I too am having the issues being discussed here on my 8100 (sometimes audio does not play at all), I would get it to work sometimes by changing sources, such as from USB to SD, or from iPhone to SD, and back. One thing I observed when changing between sources is that sometimes it seems like the HU is "restarting" itself, not all the way back to the warning screen on boot up, but enough to look like something has reset.

Not sure what the Maestro RR is, but I'm betting its something thats built into a factory radio, kind of figure also by reading the heading on the linked page above... In any event, just putting this info out there about changing sources in case it helps anyone, and also looking to see what other things I can do, to remedy this situation.

HU is installed in a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, with an added JL XD 600/2 Amp, cant say this was happening on my previous vehicle that I know of.

My 8000 does this. I don't have a maestro. It's been doing it since I installed it. There are times when it will happen every time I start my truck for a week and then it wont happen again for a couple weeks.

I have emailed pioneer a few times about it but always comes back to the same "solution" of sending the unit in for repair. I'm not eager enough to do that as changing sources fixes the issue for me.

The thing about that workaround is I cant just change source from, for example, XM to USB. I have to change from XM to USB and then back to XM and this will give me sound. It's annoying but not enough to make me drive around with no radio for 3+ weeks. 

I do have my 8000 hooked up to an aftermarket amp. A wild guess is the turn on signal isn't being sent to the amp on occasion, or it is lagging behind.  :unsure:

haha thats the same thing i have to go through man, well fwiw i'll deal with it, sure its still the best option as far as aftermarket stereos go...an update shouldn't be far, just hope this issue gets some added exposure!

* Oh and yep it seems if i wait a bit before going into Reverse (like 2 - 3 seconds), it will queue the amp and everything will cut on properly. The fact that you also have an aftermarket amp tells me its probably in that ballpark, thanks  8)

haha thats the same thing i have to go through man, well fwiw i'll deal with it, sure its still the best option as far as aftermarket stereos go...an update shouldn't be far, just hope this issue gets some added exposure!

* Oh and yep it seems if i wait a bit before going into Reverse (like 2 - 3 seconds), it will queue the amp and everything will cut on properly. The fact that you also have an aftermarket amp tells me its probably in that ballpark, thanks  8)

Maestro Firmware v3.3 has resolved the no sound issue for me.

My 8000 does this. I don't have a maestro. It's been doing it since I installed it. There are times when it will happen every time I start my truck for a week and then it wont happen again for a couple weeks.

I have emailed pioneer a few times about it but always comes back to the same "solution" of sending the unit in for repair. I'm not eager enough to do that as changing sources fixes the issue for me.

The thing about that workaround is I cant just change source from, for example, XM to USB. I have to change from XM to USB and then back to XM and this will give me sound. It's annoying but not enough to make me drive around with no radio for 3+ weeks.

I do have my 8000 hooked up to an aftermarket amp. A wild guess is the turn on signal isn't being sent to the amp on occasion, or it is lagging behind. :unsure:

Are any of you guys using metra gmos adapters for your vehicle's? When I had my tahoe and envoy using gmos and pioneer avics, I had nothing but issues but it was 100% the gmos adapters. Just a thought... I ended up switching to the Axxcess brand and problem solved.

Are any of you guys using metra gmos adapters for your vehicle's? When I had my tahoe and envoy using gmos and pioneer avics, I had nothing but issues but it was 100% the gmos adapters. Just a thought... I ended up switching to the Axxcess brand and problem solved.

I have an axxcess unit....

I'll see if this is the case with my truck in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey just wanted to say I appreciate the suggestion on the Metra GMOS apater.

I think i'll give the Axxcess unit a go, not sure whats in there now but if it is in fact the Metra, that might be the issue. Having to pull over, and restart the car to get steering wheel controls back (on occasion it does this) is a real bummer.

Hey just wanted to say I appreciate the suggestion on the Metra GMOS apater.

I think i'll give the Axxcess unit a go, not sure whats in there now but if it is in fact the Metra, that might be the issue. Having to pull over, and restart the car to get steering wheel controls back (on occasion it does this) is a real bummer.

Just to restate what I said above, my no-sound issues are completely resolved with the recent maestro firmware update.

• 9 months later...

Guys, I have a Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX using a PAC RP5-GM11 wiring harness. I am having the exact same issue where sometimes on startup the head unit won't have sound unless I shut the car off and back on. I'm confused how it could be the firmware update on the Maestro when the only thing common is the Pioneer head unit??? My PAC is already on the latest firmware. Should I try updating the firmware on my Pioneer head unit? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! This issue is extremely annoying