AVIC411.com

Dim display

Hi

We have an 9310 in our 2012 Legacy. Irregardless of day or night we drive with our headlights on. This dims the 9310s screen, while fine at night, during the day the screen isn't readable.

I was thinking I could use a switch to interrupt the illumination wire going to the unit. Don't know if I want to muck about with the wiring. Is there another way? So...

Is there a way (non wiring way) to have the screen not dim with the lights on? (We would still need to dim the screen at night.)

Thanks

You could set-up your "Quick Access" menu to add a toggle between Automatic and Daytime. If your lights are on:

• Automatic will dim the display
  • Daytime will brighten it.

This is still a pain since you have you go through the Nav screen each time you change. But it's easier than going through the Settings menus.

Thanks RonS!

I just tried what you said...

However, whenever I put on the headlights the screen dims. This happens whether the unit is set to Day or Night. Also tried going into Map Setting and changing to Daylight or Automatic. The screen still dims when the headlights are turned on.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks

I thought all cars sold in Canada had factory DRLs which were "on" by default. But usually they are a dimmer light than the nighttime headlights. Are you saying that you need to turn your headlight switch on each time? Seems odd. Was this a "gray-market" car? Or maybe a car imported from the US?   I wonder if the sensor (orange/white) wire is connected to the wrong signal source. It should not be connected to the DRL wire, but to the separate headlight wire.

Anyway, maybe the previous owner mucked up the screen brightness settings. There is one for both night "headlight on" and day "headlight off settings". The HU saves these display brightness setting separately. Check your manual on how to adjust them. Make sure the Day setting is bright enough to see during daylight. Then use the method I mentioned previously to toggle between day and automatic.

Hi RonS!

Our Legacy, as far as I know, isn't a grey market car. We bought it from a Subaru dealer here, warranty through Subaru Canada. Our car was made in the US though. Wonderful car! It does have day time running lights. Personal preference I'm afraid on always driving with headlights on. It's just how I've always driven. We live right on the coast. Lots of fog and rain. Our car was new from the dealer. Our model of the Legacy (it's a Limited sub model) came from the factory with the 9310 installed. So I'm assuming it was wired right.

Anyway, our preference doesn't really affect anything other than the visibility of what's on the screen on our unit (other than we go through a new set of headlights every 12 to 15 months). I'm not sure if the original head unit did this (this is number two) but it's almost unreadable during the day .... With the lights on.

After your earlier post, I did go through and had a look at the manual. I did go in and found the setting to turn it off of the automatic setting for headlights. So it shouldn't dim. It does still dim with the lights on.

So I'm thinking this summer I'll take it to a local car stereo shop and get the unit bypassed. So we can change gps settings while we drive. While they do that I'll get them to put a switch in the illumination line to the unit. So I can force it to not dim. I'd like to do it myself ..... But old eyes aren't very sharp anymore.

Thanks for your suggestions though. It was a good try just doesn't work on my unit. I wonder if it matters that I put in two map updates?

Thanks again.