AVIC411.com

Can someone please tell me what mapping software (database) the 8000 uses?  Is it Navteq?  Or something else?  I can't tell you how much I hate that piece of the unit, so I'm looking at alternatives.  Just want to make sure what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance for your help!

It's the worst mapping software I have ever seen in a big city.  It will only zoom out about a mile (unless you do it manually, then it won't track and fills the screen with crap).  Hell, I CAN SEE A MILE!!!!  And in many cases, it doesn't give the name of the street until you are practically on top of it.  Worst I have ever experienced.

It's the worst mapping software I have ever seen in a big city. It will only zoom out about a mile (unless you do it manually, then it won't track and fills the screen with crap). Hell, I CAN SEE A MILE!!!! And in many cases, it doesn't give the name of the street until you are practically on top of it. Worst I have ever experienced.

You know what I was thinking the same thing. You used to be able to zoom in .25 mile increments and it would stay there. It does kinda suck now. AA seems better but what's the point of having a NAV system

Yep...sucks big time.  The navigation piece isn't bad.  But the way the maps are displayed is beyond belief and acceptability. 

I am thinking hard about going to a 4100NEX and adding the U250/260 nav unit to it.  But I need to see the maps first.  Of course, the the 4100, I could always use Android Auto or Mirrorlink and use my phone.  Right now, if I need maps, I have to use Waze on my phone.  The maps on the 8000 are worthless.

No, they don't work worth a crap.  You just don't know it because you didn't research it as well as you thought you did.  You live in a community of barely 100,000 people.  Go to a place with a few million and lots of feeder freeways and come back and tell us just how well they work.  If you want to be able to see 2 miles in front of you (that's right...I said TWO!) you can't do it.  Expanding the setting out as far as they will go may not give you a mile.  So you pinch the map out and it fills the screen with crap and your location is no longer centered on the map...it will scroll right off it.

The old Z series maps are a hundred times better.  Too bad the unit itself isn't near as good or I would re-install mine so fast it would make your head spin.

No, they don't work worth a crap.  You just don't know it because you didn't research it as well as you thought you did.  You live in a community of barely 100,000 people.  Go to a place with a few million and lots of feeder freeways and come back and tell us just how well they work.  If you want to be able to see 2 miles in front of you (that's right...I said TWO!) you can't do it.  Expanding the setting out as far as they will go may not give you a mile.  So you pinch the map out and it fills the screen with crap and your location is no longer centered on the map...it will scroll right off it.

The old Z series maps are a hundred times better.  Too bad the unit itself isn't near as good or I would re-install mine so fast it would make your head spin.

Right on....so somewhere like Minneapols...would that "rate" high enuff for you...so I'm telling you as you wanted to hear..it worked fine for myself. Notice I speak for myself, you speak for everyone...funny how that happens. Stop whining ..sell the unit and move on or back or wherever you'll feel good about yourself.

I live in NYC, it's a little bit bigger than Phoenix. Have you heard of it?    I don't get the same issues you do. I have an 8100, but the base maps should be the same.

Maybe my frustration is getting the best of me, but you mean to tell me you are satisfied with a mapping display that will not display any further out than a mile on screen??  I cannot believe you would be happy with that.  The problem is, the mapping software sees an exit every mile and will not expand any further than that!  If you have exits every 5 miles, then it will expand out further.  But there is no setting that will allow you to bypass that unless you manually expand the view...then all sorts of crap on the screen and it will not keep you centered in the map.  I can't believe anyone is happy with that.

By the way, I'll bet you money that the Phoenix Metroplex is just about the same size...if not larger...than NYC...in AREA.  NYC population goes up...we go out.  Someone told me here that it's 90 miles from one extreme of the Metroplex to the other.  Many freeways...and all have exits every mile.  This is a big place.

Turn off the displayed services to unclutter the map. If you set an actual navigation destination, it will change how the zoom works.

And, yes, I am happy with how the map works. I don't need to know what is further than the next exit when I am not using it for directions to someplace. I use road signs to know that.

Edit to add: I think I figured it out. You (03Aviator) are trying to use it as a map, when it isn't. It is a navigation system, so is not what you want.