AVIC411.com

8100NEX Video/Audio Format For Best Playback from SD card

Just had an 8100NEX installed. I love it so far.

I attempted to play a .mkv video file from an SD card.

The video looked great, even at 1080p, however the 8100NEX unit said that the file did not contain an audio file.

When I play the same file on any of my computers (mac) via VLC, the file appears to be flawless and of course has sound.

What type of video file should I be using to play from an SD card?

What type of Audio file is needed so that the 8100NEX will recognize it at play properly?

Thanks in advance!

convert it to MPEG4

MPEG-4 is a video compression codec.  Technically, both the H.264 and AVC codecs are MPEG-4.

There is also an audio codec.

Then there's a wrapper or file format that contains both a video "file" and an audio "file", and perhaps others such as subtitle and chapter file(s).  The AVIC-x100NEX series claims compatibility with several, but only certain combinations of video and audio formats are compatible within a wrapper file.  See the table below. It is also on page 248 of the operation manual.

Video%20compatibility.png

The video looked great, even at 1080p...

While the video may have been encoded at 1080p, you cannot see any more pixels than 480, as that is all the screen is capable of displaying.  What you see are 1080p frames downsampled to 480p frames.

FWIW, it takes up more space on your SD card to store 1080p video files than it does 480p when they are encoded at picture-equivalent bitrates.