AVIC411.com

Heat affect on 4100

I have a Pioneer AVH4100-NEX in my car. When the weather gets really warm, or the sun is particularly powerful, my radio behaves erratically. The Apple CarPlay has all sorts of problems - the unit doesn't recognize my phone when it's pulled into the USB cord, it shuts off sometimes. The volume control on my steering wheel acts weird, when I push down to lower the volume, it turns it up. My XM also behaves weirdly, it's very hard to pick up signals, and occasionally it will just shut down and the "check tuner" screen appears.

Does this make sense to anyone? What could this be? I would like to be able to give the repair people some hints, as I'm sure they will think I'm the crazy guy that has a hot radio.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I have the same issue! 2004 Chevy Malibu.

I only just figured out that it was a heat issue, at first I thought the USB cable had gone bad and I actually replaced it completely, but it didn't clear up the issue. Then I had the brainwave to check the temps. I pulled down the screen and felt the unit with my hands, just the front of it was extremely hot! This is mostly an issue when the car sits in the sun for long and the dash heats up to 80-90F. I live up north so I imagine people in the south have it even worse. The radio and the bluetooth options are fine, it's just the USB connection that gets touchy when the temps rise. I don't know the exact cause, I guess the USB electronics inside the unit are sensitive to heat. I hope there isn't any permanent damage being caused.

The OEM head unit didn't even have a fan in the back, I guess it didn't create as much heat. Thankfully turning up the AC will cool down the dash after 5-10 minutes, so it's not a dealbreaker. Still, it kind of sucks.

I will say one thing: behind the mounting for my stereo there is a ~1 inch wide strip of sheet metal that was used as an anchor for the OEM radio. I don't know for sure, but it may be blocking off the ventilation to the 4100NEX. Either way there's not a lot of air moving around in there since there is insulating foam around the plastics of the dash. The only cooling comes from the AC vents going through it.

They do have overheating issues when sitting and the sun is hot. Best advice is to get a windshield shade and put it in while your not using your car, that will keep your dash from heating up, and your radio

• 1 month later...

They do have overheating issues when sitting and the sun is hot. Best advice is to get a windshield shade and put it in while your not using your car, that will keep your dash from heating up, and your radio

Tekki, unfortunately this doesn't work, and even if it did it would not be an acceptable solution. OEM radios do not have this issue, they simply work.

I keep my car in a closed garage. If the ambient temp is ~75F or higher (according to my OEM thermometer) then the USB plugs simply will not work until the dashboard has been cooled down, agonizingly slowly, by the AC ducts.

• 4 weeks later...

Brand new guy here and already have questions :)

Can someone ellaborate on this, if possible? I live in Texas and am looking to get a NEX unit for my wife's Subaru Legacy. The car is garaged but it gets hot in the garage plus the car does get parked outside when it's 100 out (with a sun shade).

Does anyone here live in hot summer climate like this and is the unit workable under such conditions? I am worried that the summer could be the time of frustration, in which case I might have to look elsewhere...

So it turns out my "heat effect" was just a bad USB cable. I had tried two cables and had the same issue, I figured it must be the head unit but I was wrong! It was just two bad cables. Unlikely but that's how it happened.

The problem with the USB cables is that it's a crap-shoot. They are all cheap factory direct stuff from China, you have no idea what you're getting and there's no store to back up the purchase. I haven't found a dashboard USB plug to date that is sold under a respectable brand, so you'll just have to take your chances. But the unit itself should work OK...