AVIC411.com

Carplay or Appradio?

So for those of you with iPhone, do you like Carplay better than Appradio?

I'm in the process of "learning" Carplay (I have the 4000NEX and was using Android with Appradio and the NetGear Push2TV thingy because the HDMI is very unreliable at least with my Samsung Galaxy S3/S4).

1)  I see/know that Carplay has limited apps compared to AppRadio.  Probably the only ones/things I miss are Waze since the 4000NEX doens't do google maps (at least with Android).

2)  I like the Siri control, but I don't like that I can't use the Source button on my steering wheel to "stay" in carplay mode and switch the input.  for example, in AppRadio with Android, I could use the Source button on the steering wheel to switch to XM/HD (while still "staying" in say, iHeartRadio).  While commercials were playing/etc.  Seems that in Carplay with iPhone 6s and the 4000 NEX I Have to push the NEX icon to get back to the main screen and then I can switch inputs.  But that requires futzing with the head unit (ie:  I cannot tell Siri to swtich inputs because that's outside her abilities).  Note:  I don't know if this is particular to Carplay in general or the particular head unit (ie:  When/if Ford Sync3 gets Carplay, dunno if this is easier with the Sync system or not).  I was kinda hoping for an all voice control.

3)  Carplay for just needing/using the Lighting to USB Cable.  Appradio still needs all the other connections/dongles (NetGear Push2TV isn't compatible with iPhone).  although I don't know if iPhone is less tempermental with HDMI connection than my Galaxy phones are.

Thoughts/suggestions/ideas? 

I use Carplay a lot more then I do AppRadio.   My experience with AppRadio was disappointing at best.  For the most part, most if the apps you can use with AppRadio you have to buy.  AppRadio Live is pretty good and the Car Media Player is pretty good.  I had Inrix.  That was nice but then they updated the software and it stopped working with AppRadio.  I was looking and maybe buying the iGo software but when you go to the link to get the software they said there is a new version of the software coming and to not but the current version.  It just doesnt seem like AppRadio is catching on and it seems like support is dwindling with time.

Carplay is nice for what it is.  But it is still a baby.  I think they are still learning what they want to do with it.  Apple Maps is ok.  It is just a basic GPS app.  Nothing fancy at all.  But it does make you wish it had the same features as Waze and Google Maps.  The apps that Carplay uses is mostly audio apps.  

The reason I use Carplay more is because of messaging.  I have had several iphones but I have never been able to use text messaging through the car stereo.  Carplay uses that and it uses it very well.  At least for me it has.

Carplay is just a basic interface for the iphone.  I do wish there was more variety when it comes to apps.  But that could get better over time.  AppRadio is a nice idea but the execution is terrible and it looks like it is not getting better anytime soon.

• 1 year later...