AVIC411.com

My backup camera sorta works. Let me explain. I have a NEW 4200 NEX with a Backup camera, 

The camera is a license plate CCD camera. The Yellow RCA is plugged into the Brown receptacle on the HU, The camera power is connected, Red to Black/Purple stripe and Grounded to the Black ground wire at the backup light in the light housing. On the HU the purple white wire is connected to the same Black/Purple Stripe wire under the dash from the Wire Harness.

When I start the 2000 Ranger and before the HU boots up, I get the Backup camera to come on and it is transmitting video(while it is in reverse the video has in the lower Right hand corner a car icon with concentric circles from both the front and the back of the car icon. When I remove it from reverse the LCD goes black.

If the radio was previously running, it will still be running fine, same with Android Auto, same with ANY other program that was previously running. But after I shift it out of reverse, I have a black screen and it is dead and I can not change anything on the screen. Volume and mute buttons work, tilt screen works.

The only way to get out of the black screen that I have found is to either shut off the truck, restart it and then wait for it to boot all the way up, but then the backup camera doesn't work when I put it into reverse. OR I can press the HOME and MUTE buttons for 4-5 seconds and it will then finish rebooting and again, the backup camera doesn't come on when I put it in reverse.

While it is like this I can go into the settings and enable the reverse view and see the video and it is running video OK until I turn it off. But no video when I put the truck in reverse.

Do I just have the wiring wrong? Should I not have the power and ground hooked to the backup wiring inside the rear light housing? Any Ideas? I do have pictures of it working as described and can post if anyone would like to see them.

Help?? Thanks everybody

• 3 weeks later...

Pioneer would'nt fix my 8100. So, the dealer credited me full price plus $175.00 and they rolled me in to an 8200.

Better unit and the camera works.

Pioneer sucks as far as they "forcibly" make you get the successor because they WILL NOT repair a unit still within the warranty.

Lame, lame, lame.

But, I got a better unit but.....

I took the unit back to best buy. They are replacing something, as of their last email. I am looking again at my backup installation. I find it hard to believe that ford would use the exact same color coded wire for more than 1 circuit. I won't know until the HU is back. I wanted the 4200 series to use google maps, and the Blue tooth phone connection. In Iowa and Illinois it is against the law to to use a hand held device, and I just don't have the multi tasking skills I had when I was... younger ;):shock: