AVIC411.com

iHeartRadio and carplay with NEX4000

OK, so it seems that if my iPhone 6s is in carplay mode, and the screen saver/timeout kicks in, that I am unable to launch/play iHeart Radio.

You push the icon on the Pioneer 4000 NEX (latest 1.11 firmware) for iHeart radio and it goes to the black screen that says iHeart Radio and nothing happens.  wait several minutes.  Nothing

Now, observe that my iPhone screen is black.  So i click the button to wake it up and voila, iHeart Radio starts finally on the Pioneer unit.

Is this working as designed?

I thought that while your phone was in Carplay mode, it wasn't locked?

I get the same thing with Iheartradio as well as TuneIn. It may happen with other third party apps but I use these two the most and haven't noticed it otherwise.

It's my understanding that everything should work as expected even when the phone is locked (black screen). Obviously this doesn't happen. I don't know if it's an issue with the apps or with CarPlay. I suppose you can write an iTunes review for iheartradio and mention this problem, then you can contact apple to share your experience. 

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

I get the same thing with Iheartradio as well as TuneIn. It may happen with other third party apps but I use these two the most and haven't noticed it otherwise.

It's my understanding that everything should work as expected even when the phone is locked (black screen). Obviously this doesn't happen. I don't know if it's an issue with the apps or with CarPlay. I suppose you can write an iTunes review for iheartradio and mention this problem, then you can contact apple to share your experience. 

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

Thanks, guess I'll have to do that.  Sucks that the display dims immediately and then causes apps to not work that are supposedly Carplay -enabled.  Perhaps Apple doesn't actually test these "carplay" apps at all?  I mean if the point of dimming the phone is so you don't have to fiddle with it while driving, it makes it stupid to break carplay apps by dimming the screen so they don't work unless you fiddle with the phone.