AVIC411.com

Release dates of Pioneer NEX units

8000NEX March 25, 2014

7000nex

6000nex

5000nex

4000nex

8100NEX February 5, 2015 (9 months later)

7100nex

6100nex

5100nex

4100nex

8200NEX March 19, 2016 (13 months later)

7200nex

6200nex

5200nex

4200nex

8201NEX February - March 2017 (12 months later)

7201nex

6201nex

5201nex

4201nex

W8400nex May 25, 2018 (14 months later)

W6400nex

W4400nex

It's not completely Pioneer's fault - this is smartphones we are talking about. Especially back in 2014, it seems like every six months the smartphone world was being flipped upsidedown by a new device and more standards and features. Take into account that these head units have been in planning and prototype for a long time, maybe several years before they hit the market. And don't forget the aftermarket for head units is suffering in general thanks to the philosophy of car makers these days. Pioneer knows their days in this market are numbered, they're squeezing what they can while they can.

It's not completely Pioneer's fault - this is smartphones we are talking about. Especially back in 2014, it seems like every six months the smartphone world was being flipped upsidedown by a new device and more standards and features. Take into account that these head units have been in planning and prototype for a long time, maybe several years before they hit the market. And don't forget the aftermarket for head units is suffering in general thanks to the philosophy of car makers these days. Pioneer knows their days in this market are numbered, they're squeezing what they can while they can.

I agree with your sentiment. Pioneer does what it needs to do in order to keep its car audio division afloat. Car audio has been a niche market in general and it's getting smaller (no data - just a gut feeling). There simply isn't the economy of scale in this market that can drive R&D up and prices down simultanelously. 

• 3 weeks later...

My problem with this is they could be giving their customers that spend $1000+ many of these features, but no the software perks won't come until next year in their new model. They will give you free bug fixes updates along the way but don't think they will take care of you with UI changes and/or maps, they will charge you over $100 each map update. Which is not worth it.

Let me know what you guys think in the comments below, do you agree or disagree?

I'm using an AVIC-Z150BH and understand it falls outside of the build three models and update the hardware because the NEX systems replaced it and it was the first of the SH4 systems.  But I agree that all the new software updates should be also applied to earlier versions as long as the hardware is compatible.

I'm using an AVIC-Z150BH and understand it falls outside of the build three models and update the hardware because the NEX systems replaced it and it was the first of the SH4 systems.  But I agree that all the new software updates should be also applied to earlier versions as long as the hardware is compatible.

At least with the AVIC-Z1*0B* units you would get firmware updates included when you bought the map updates. It helped me to rationalize the map purchase price.