AVIC411.com

Using both iPhone & Android with 5000

I have a personal iPhone and a work Droid Z. I'd like to be able to use both phones interchangeably connected to the 5000 as needed. Example: drive to work- use iPhone. At work (or doing work stuff in car)- use Droid. Home again: use iPhone. Etc....

I have a hard wired lighting cable only at the moment for my iPhone (USB1). I'd replace it with a standard USB cable connected to a little USB dongle that fits into my spare cigarette lighter port on my dash (someone posted it here before). From there I'd have one of those short Belkin Lighting/Micro USB cables (this: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J080/ )

So this is what I'd like to be able to do: basically be able to switch devices at will, use Android Auto or CarPlay as needed depending on device and not have to worry about switching cables or screwing around with anything else.

Is this possible or does the 5000 only support 1 smartphone device period??? Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Oh and if the person who posted the original pic/description of the USB cigarette lighter thing still has it, please post it here again. I'm still looking for it in my old posts.....my brain hurts. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a personal iPhone and a work Droid Z. I'd like to be able to use both phones interchangeably connected to the 5000 as needed. Example: drive to work- use iPhone. At work (or doing work stuff in car)- use Droid. Home again: use iPhone. Etc....

I have a hard wired lighting cable only at the moment for my iPhone (USB1). I'd replace it with a standard USB cable connected to a little USB dongle that fits into my spare cigarette lighter port on my dash (someone posted it here before). From there I'd have one of those short Belkin Lighting/Micro USB cables (this: http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J080/ )

So this is what I'd like to be able to do: basically be able to switch devices at will, use Android Auto or CarPlay as needed depending on device and not have to worry about switching cables or screwing around with anything else.

Is this possible or does the 5000 only support 1 smartphone device period??? Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Oh and if the person who posted the original pic/description of the USB cigarette lighter thing still has it, please post it here again. I'm still looking for it in my old posts.....my brain hurts. 

you cannot get it working, you need to go in setting to change from USB or lightning cable, if you want this option get the 8200 that auto switch when you plugin the phone. it always come down what you pay is what you get.

• 3 weeks later...

you cannot get it working, you need to go in setting to change from USB or lightning cable, if you want this option get the 8200 that auto switch when you plugin the phone. it always come down what you pay is what you get.

OK well the answer seems to be "yes, but...". Having to switch in the Settings menu from USB to Lightning (or whatever) is not a huge deal. I can do that in 5 secs.

The bigger question was: can both devices work independently of each other using the 5000 as their "interface"? I think you're saying the answer is yes.....right?