AVIC411.com

Google maps or Apple maps seem to be better

I just got my 8200 installed before a weekend trip. Wondering if I missed some setup or something. 

The iPhone I can simply speak and ask for an address and there it is. On the 8200 it seems to take forever to get the address search entered using the keyboard.  Is there some better way?

Also its very annoying saying something like "exit highway" when it means change to a different road. When I am in traffic I dont want to be staring at the small letters at the top of the screen to find out what the next directions are. On my Z2 (which I just replaced) at least it told you the name of the road that was coming up. 

So all the way home I used Google maps. Seems silly to have an expensive GPS system and not use it though.

Any thoughts? Is there an update or something that I am missing?

First of all, its an expensive multimedia device with support for both Android Auto and Apple car.  

But as to the spoken voice, make sure you have chosen a voice that supports street names.  My 8100 speaks street names and highway numbers and names just fine.

First of all, its an expensive multimedia device with support for both Android Auto and Apple car.

But as to the spoken voice, make sure you have chosen a voice that supports street names. My 8100 speaks street names and highway numbers and names just fine.

Is it possible to make the 5100 speak streets by changing voice or is it only in the higher units that it is possible.

I don't even use the Navi on our 8XXX series.

With real time analysis, Waze or Google is far superior.

In driving testing, the routing of Waze is pretty damm great on the roads it has me take during traffic/rush hour.

Some may find it daunting....as it's not all main roads. 

• 2 weeks later...

I use the nav on the 8000 exclusively, Im guessing my needs are not as demanding as many others. I enter a zip code/USA or postal code for here in Cad and it always seems to get me where I need to go. Most of the demanding use for me would be in Minneapolis MN on weekend road trips. I stick to reading the advanced info on the screen for reference on the turns and have yet to try the audio guidance side. I only time I would think I need 0 day updating would be traversing through new residential sub divisions. I guess Im not commuting through rush hour enough to have a need for near instant updates.