AVIC411.com

2016 Maps *WORKING* for X850 / X950 / Z150

Maybe I missed something. Are you saying this media (SD) can't be read from a PC? If it has some non-standard format, I bet some of the free bit copy image backup utilities would make an image. Most hard-drive manufacturers have a free utility to backup storage devices.

Excellent question -- I was not able to read it on a PC or a MacOS system.  Your described method may be what's needed -- where do I find more information on this?  Thanks.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends what you have for connections and which head unit you have.  I have both the AVIC-Z150BH and AVIC-X850BT units, purchased the map update, have a 30 pin iPhone connector -- used to copy file to via USB connection, and Service Mode.  The following are steps I used to copy my files:

1) Boot into Service Mode (a.k.a. test mode)*.

2) Eject SD Card with Service Mode key.

3) Insert Map Update.

4) Connect 8 GB USB drive via 30 Pin iPhone USB connection.

5) Copied the files with Service Mode utilities.

If you have more specific questions, you can PM me.

* Please note: you have a lot of power in Service Mode, as you can delete files that could cause harm to your system, but you can also copy and backup files when testing and experimenting.  The following link is the Service Mode key:

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/36681-avic-x50-hack-general-topic/page-2&do=findComment&comment=269957

where do I get this cable? I want to try again

where do I get this cable? I want to try again

I think you should give RonS's idea a try -- it sounds interesting and I'm very curious if it works.  Anyway, the following link is the cable (It was used for the iPhone 4S and earlier 30 pin connections -- replaced by the lightning connector --  but worked on the AVIC-X850BT before the module came out for later iPhones/iPods):

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Smartphone-and-iPod-Cables/CD-IU201N

Crutchfield has it for $1.99:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130IU201N/Pioneer-CD-IU201N.html?tp=120&awkw=75621747145&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47439289465&awdv=c

I use the lightning adapter cable myself. (With Digital AV Adapter)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Smartphone-and-iPod-Cables/CD-IH202

Look on eBay.

I have an older iphone 5c I keep in my glove compartment exclusively for Pandora control.

I have it activated on Ting, so I pay around $12/month.

Also does screen mirroring, so Netflix as well.

The way you described copying the files Nezfotnemom makes me wonder if you missed something.

Trust me I didnt... 

1) I checked and double and 100buble checked the files

and 

2) I UPDATED MY UNIT with these files....I literally didnt do the update, i copied everything to my computer, then to the 8gb card, then rebooted and ran the update from my 8gb card.. so if i missed something, why did it work?

It's a remote possibility, but I remember reading on the Z120 forum about problems when zipping/unzipping.

Some over these could only get it to work if they zipped using 7zip.

The IT tech in me finds that perplexing though.

I looked at your screenshots, and I have the same number of files, as well as file sizes.

So doubt we lost anything in the transfer.

------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing as you were able to install on your 2nd unit, without having to zip/unzip makes me wonder.

Could that be an issue?

It's a remote possibility, but I remember reading on the Z120 forum about problems when zipping/unzipping.

Some over these could only get it to work if they zipped using 7zip.

The IT tech in me finds that perplexing though.

I looked at your screenshots, and I have the same number of files, as well as file sizes.

------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing as you were able to install on your 2nd unit, without having to zip/unzip makes me wonder.

Could that be an issue?

Did you check the md5? I will zip it up with 7zip now..

Maybe I missed something. Are you saying this media (SD) can't be read from a PC? If it has some non-standard format, I bet some of the free bit copy image backup utilities would make an image. Most hard-drive manufacturers have a free utility to backup storage devices.

See RonS's post quoted above -- he asks an excellent question.  Files (or bit-sized flag information) can be hidden from the user and creating an ISO image could grab everything -- this may be a red herring (or TMI) but is interesting.   One thing I noticed as far as a very rough comparison between what I bought and installed and what was posted was directories (folders) did not retain the time stamps, et al.  I.e. the folders show the date and time they were uncompressed.

Excellent question -- I was not able to read it on a PC or a MacOS system.  Your described method may be what's needed -- where do I find more information on this?  Thanks.

I used to have several apps that I used to image CDs and DVDs. Most of those programs got lost when I upgraded Windows.  I also have Easus Backup software (non-free) that will do sector copies of any storage device. Unfortunately it creates a proprietary image file that requires the Easus program to extract. It will also clone from one device to another.

I did a quick google of "Disk Image" and found this: Active Disk Image which might work. I'm sure there are others. Unfortunately I have no way of testing since I don't have any "protected" SDs, nor do I have a 50 series HU..