AVIC411.com

Need help, Z140BH infinite loop

I just recently bought a used car with this head unit and I noticed that it's stuck at the Pioneer logo. I thought probably it was not updated so I updated it to the latest firmware (5.1) but it did not fix the issue. I tried searching through this forum on how to enter testmode but to no avail. Is this unit bricked? I have no idea what the previous owner did to this head unit.

Get Supertestmodekey.zip from here http://http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/35110-avic-f40bt-testmode-fixed-firmware/?hl=supertestmode&do=findComment&comment=256194

Unzip it; copy Testmode.key to an SD; insert into HU.

BTW, 6.0 is the latest firmware/maps. However, it's hard to diagnose what the problem is. 

Hi RonS, thanks for the reply. I was able to download and use the supertestmodekey and was able to access the test mode on my HU. I will check the youtube link on how to navigate through testmode. I also noticed that I do not have the PRG file you mentioned on one of the post here. I will try that and will update this thread.

Hi RonS, thanks for the reply. I was able to download and use the supertestmodekey and was able to access the test mode on my HU. I will check the youtube link on how to navigate through testmode. I also noticed that I do not have the PRG file you mentioned on one of the post here. I will try that and will update this thread.

It worked! Thanks so much RonS for the help!  :-P

• 2 weeks later...

Great. What worked???? Testmode is just a tool. BTW, I suspect previous owner dabbled with Condi's Hackmode and it crippled your unit.

My Z140BH is now alive lol! I used the supertestmode key and added prg file and it worked. One thing I noticed though, some of the settings are greyed out. I'll attach the photo I took later when I get back to my computer

post-141757-0-98033100-1486639395_thumb.jpg

My Z140BH is now alive lol! I used the supertestmode key and added prg file and it worked. One thing I noticed though, some of the settings are greyed out. I'll attach the photo I took later when I get back to my computer

attachicon.gifIMG_1845.jpg

So that forced the unit to start using the previous firmware. Depending on what the previous owner had installed, it could be the original firmware.

First thing you should be aware of - some settings and functions of these units only work if the parking brake is set.  I don't know which functions are disabled since I did the parking brake bypass from the day I got the unit. So this may or may not be your issue.

If that isn't the issue, I'd reset the unit to factory default by disconnecting all power for a few minutes. Simplest way is to disconnect the car's battery. 

Once you get the System Settings to work, find out what version of the firmware you are running.

You said you tried to install 5.1 - but that is just a patch to add Apple Lightning support and will only work if your unit is running 5.0.

So that forced the unit to start using the previous firmware. Depending on what the previous owner had installed, it could be the original firmware.

First thing you should be aware of - some settings and functions of these units only work if the parking brake is set.  I don't know which functions are disabled since I did the parking brake bypass from the day I got the unit. So this may or may not be your issue.

If that isn't the issue, I'd reset the unit to factory default by disconnecting all power for a few minutes. Simplest way is to disconnect the car's battery. 

Once you get the System Settings to work, find out what version of the firmware you are running.

You said you tried to install 5.1 - but that is just a patch to add Apple Lightning support and will only work if your unit is running 5.0.

What are the pros and cons of doing the parking brake bypass? Will it allow me to use some of the features of my HU? I noticed even AppRadio is not working, the unit detects the iPhone but everytime I launch AppRadio on my iPhone it doesn't mirror link to the HU

What are the pros and cons of doing the parking brake bypass? Will it allow me to use some of the features of my HU? I noticed even AppRadio is not working, the unit detects the iPhone but everytime I launch AppRadio on my iPhone it doesn't mirror link to the HU

As a safety feature Pioneer disables some functionality of the head unit if the parking/hand brake is not set. It's so the driver won't get distracted while the car is moving. I don't know all the functions but among them are things that require lots of key/screen manipulation. For example entering a destination into the NAV. Apparently it never occurred to them that a passenger could do it.  However, I doubt that AppRadio is one of those functions.

The only con to wiring the bypass would be getting into an accident while distracted, and having the insurance company using that as an excuse not to cover your loss.

You didn't say whether you tried the reset I suggested. Also, what version of the firmware are you now running? Remeber, when you installed 5.1 (presumably for iPhone Lightning support) - that installed into the other PRGn directory. So it would need to be re-installed.

I don't use App Radio, but I think it may require a wired interface (Lightning). There is also a setting (something like "App Connection") that need to be set. If you didn' get a user's manual with the car, you can download one from Pioneer's web site.

As a safety feature Pioneer disables some functionality of the head unit if the parking/hand brake is not set. It's so the driver won't get distracted while the car is moving. I don't know all the functions but among them are things that require lots of key/screen manipulation. For example entering a destination into the NAV. Apparently it never occurred to them that a passenger could do it.  However, I doubt that AppRadio is one of those functions.

The only con to wiring the bypass would be getting into an accident while distracted, and having the insurance company using that as an excuse not to cover your loss.

You didn't say whether you tried the reset I suggested. Also, what version of the firmware are you now running? Remeber, when you installed 5.1 (presumably for iPhone Lightning support) - that installed into the other PRGn directory. So it would need to be re-installed.

I don't use App Radio, but I think it may require a wired interface (Lightning). There is also a setting (something like "App Connection") that need to be set. If you didn' get a user's manual with the car, you can download one from Pioneer's web site.

Sorry for the late reply, been busy lately. Current FW is 4.0. I restored the HU to factory settings but the contacts and the favorite POIs on the map is still there. Is there anyway to reset this HU like it was newly bought? Even the bluetooth device that was registered before me was still there after the restore. Haven't tried to disconnect power, I'll try to do it later

Sorry for the late reply, been busy lately. Current FW is 4.0. I restored the HU to factory settings but the contacts and the favorite POIs on the map is still there. Is there anyway to reset this HU like it was newly bought? Even the bluetooth device that was registered before me was still there after the restore. Haven't tried to disconnect power, I'll try to do it later

AFA resetting, the manual lists several "levels" of reset. It shows exactly what get's reset for each level. However I was referring to the method I mentioned (disconnect the battery). That clears the volatile memory, where many system specific settings are stored.  It does not clear everything back to the out-of-the-box state.