AVIC411.com

X930-BT Turn By Turn Navigation Commands Not Working

So I updated the unit to 5.00 and now the unit doesn't give turn by turn voice navigation commands. Map shows direction but if I go of course it doesn't re-route, and when I get to my destination I finally get a command saying "You have arrived at your destination". Tried resetting with "mode" and "reverse track" button press but still no go.

So I updated the unit to 5.00 and now the unit doesn't give turn by turn voice navigation commands. Map shows direction but if I go of course it doesn't re-route, and when I get to my destination I finally get a command saying "You have arrived at your destination". Tried resetting with "mode" and "reverse track" button press but still no go.

Whenever weird things (of any kind) happen after an update, I recommend doing a hard reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes.

One reason for this is that the unit is always powered by the yellow wire (constant +12v).When you turn off your car's ignition/acc, you just trigger the unit to go to sleep.   Many settings are stored in volatile memory. When a major update is installed, physical locations of the various setting values may change. 

A hard reset forces these settings to be initialized from non-volatile memory (NAND). Some setting may be lost, so you will need to reset some things.

Anyway, this is always the better way than starting to do any serious hacking or debugging. 

Tried battery disconnect but still no voice navigation or map re-routing when off course.

Double check your Voice setting in System Settings / Regional Settings. Also make sure in Volume Settings that voice guidance volume is not muted and adequate volume.

AFA route re-calculation, there may be some differences in this version. I'm still looking. Was your unit always trying to re-direct you back to the original route? I've had problems with that too. I usually end up canceling the route and re-setting the route manually.

The manual is very vague about this.

BTW, why didn't you go directly to 6.0 (2015)?

Ok, so would it be correct to point to the firmware being the issue? And if so how do I go back to older/default versions?

A simple way that might allow you to fall back is using TestMode (Not Hackmode).  Using File Maintenance check to see if there is a file called USER/PRG.FLG     if there is, delete it (it is just an empty file), If one doesn't exist, then we need to create one. Be careful not to delete anything else. In fact, it is a good idea to back-up everything under USER to SD before doing anything serious than deleting/adding PRG.FLG. 

You may want to look for other posts with instructions - search for PRG.FLG.

The concept here is - the unit keeps two set of firmware: the current one and the previous one. They are stored in USER/PRG0 and PRG1. If /USER/PRG.FLG doesn't exist, the version in PRG0 gets run. Otherwise, PRG1 gets used.

Another option would be to install v6.0, but if you do that, it will be harder to go backwards (if it doesn't fix the problem), since the only two firmware versions on your unit will be 5.0 and 6.0.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your help RonS... Finally had a little time to get back to this but unfortunately I haven't been able to get into Testmode to access those files, using hold on home, then previous, forward, previous, forward, previous, forward. As of now if I input a destination it will briefly indicate an eta, as well as green route outline, but no short-distance indicator screen, or voice directives. Coincidentally I've since installed an X920-BT in another vehicle that works perfectly so now I'm even more stumped!

Thanks for your help RonS... Finally had a little time to get back to this but unfortunately I haven't been able to get into Testmode to access those files, using hold on home, then previous, forward, previous, forward, previous, forward. As of now if I input a destination it will briefly indicate an eta, as well as green route outline, but no short-distance indicator screen, or voice directives. Coincidentally I've since installed an X920-BT in another vehicle that works perfectly so now I'm even more stumped!

That's not how you get into TestMode on a X930-BT. Download this file supertestmode.zip to a PC, unzip it, put TestMode.key on a FAT32 formatted SD, and insert it in your unit.

Got the Testmode going, entered User option to find PRG0 and PRG1, didn't see a /USER/PRG.FLG file so where do I go from here? 

Create one on your PC, then copy it to the SD. Make sure it is named PRG.FLG

Then in TestMode, select it on SD, then navigate to /USER and paste it.

BTW, this may or may not fix your problem. But it won't hurt anything and is easily reversible.

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately I'm still without turn-by-turn functions and street indicators for this unit. However all radio, blue-tooth, I-device connections, phone, etc. work properly, it's just simply problematic in the GPS/map functions. Would like to get this unit working properly as I have upcoming travels. Any advice is appreciated. 

9 hours ago, spankedmonkey said:

Unfortunately I'm still without turn-by-turn functions and street indicators for this unit. However all radio, blue-tooth, I-device connections, phone, etc. work properly, it's just simply problematic in the GPS/map functions. Would like to get this unit working properly as I have upcoming travels. Any advice is appreciated. 

If that is the only thing wrong, it sounds like a settings issue. I just looked in the X series operations manual and it mentions you can turn off guidance by pressing the center of the volume knob. A long press mutes everything. A short press mutes guidance.   Also check System Settings/Volume Settings to see both the Guidance  volume level and the guidance mute icon.

Thanks Ron S.  So here's what it's doing...  When I tried pressing the volume knob after entering a destination it gave a voice prompt for the distance to the next turn, but nothing else. I've tried resetting and going into the menu settings with no change.  The in-route arrow does not follow the plotted course.  Nor am I given an ETA, arrow indication on upcoming exits/turns. Also the street I'm traveling isn't indicated at the bottom.