AVIC411.com

Hi Everyone

I have recently purchased the F88DAB and installed into my Alfa 159 sportwaggon. This is a great unit. I decided to purchase an aftermarket reverse camera which I then installed into the car.

Having tested the camera using a 12v battery and an AV monitor I knew it worked before installing and therefore expected it to just plug and play when installing it into the HU reverse camera Connector. However this is not the case. I put the car into reverse and the HU changes to the reverse screen but just stays black and no image appears. I have tested this with the HU out and the cable running into the AV monitor and get a picture straight away.

The camera definatly works with the head unit because when I go to source AV and set it to camera the reverse camera image appears. The camera is powered the entire time as the power feed is coming from a constant source. I have tried a number of different settings including setting the second camera input as the reverse camera and that still doesn't appear.

I just can't figure out why I can see the image in one option but does not appear when the car is put into reverse especially when the camera is plugged into the reverse camera input. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

D

Hi Everyone

I have recently purchased the F88DAB and installed into my Alfa 159 sportwaggon. This is a great unit. I decided to purchase an aftermarket reverse camera which I then installed into the car.

Having tested the camera using a 12v battery and an AV monitor I knew it worked before installing and therefore expected it to just plug and play when installing it into the HU reverse camera Connector. However this is not the case. I put the car into reverse and the HU changes to the reverse screen but just stays black and no image appears. I have tested this with the HU out and the cable running into the AV monitor and get a picture straight away.

The camera definatly works with the head unit because when I go to source AV and set it to camera the reverse camera image appears. The camera is powered the entire time as the power feed is coming from a constant source. I have tried a number of different settings including setting the second camera input as the reverse camera and that still doesn't appear.

I just can't figure out why I can see the image in one option but does not appear when the car is put into reverse especially when the camera is plugged into the reverse camera input. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

D

Sounds like you are using the wrong video input connection for the backup camera. There are two video inputs. You should plug your camera's RCA into the brown input on the back of the unit (labeled BC In), not the yellow connector in the harness.

Thanks for the response, I am using the one brown one, it's the one that has the yellow tag on which says reverse camera in if I remember, it has a small amount of cable which comes out the HU. I also tried it in the secondary yellow AV input which is just the socket, then set the setting to 2nd camera input use as reverse which also didn't work. Really am at the end of my teather as I'm all out of ideas.

Thanks for the response, I am using the one brown one, it's the one that has the yellow tag on which says reverse camera in if I remember, it has a small amount of cable which comes out the HU. I also tried it in the secondary yellow AV input which is just the socket, then set the setting to 2nd camera input use as reverse which also didn't work. Really am at the end of my teather as I'm all out of ideas.

I'm talking about the one in the installation manual.http://catalogs.pioneer-car.eu/Manuals/AVIC_F88DAB_CRD4952_installation_manual/

post-43400-0-74853100-1492210181_thumb.jpg

The brown one here. No yellow tag. That's the other one.

post-43400-0-97340400-1492210195_thumb.jpg

You should plug your camera RCA directly into this.

The installation manual also indicates a few settings that affect behavior.

post-43400-0-95715000-1492210395_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Is there a setting I’m missing..? As I have to select camera as my reversing cam does not come on automatically when reversing

I have checked I have it in the right port (brown)

Iv tried changing polarity.

Wiring. Grounded black. Live from reversing light wire

Any help greatfull received. .

Is there a setting I’m missing..? As I have to select camera as my reversing cam does not come on automatically when reversing

I have checked I have it in the right port (brown)

Iv tried changing polarity.

Wiring. Grounded black. Live from reversing light wire

Any help greatfull received. .

Could be lots of things.

You can tap into the positive side of a backup light, but then the camera only works when you are in reverse. I ran a +12v wire from the fuse box so the camera is on whenever the ignition is on.

I'm assuming that Settings/System Settings/Back Camera is set to On.

Make sure your backup lights are still working (you might of blown a fuse).

So, what happens when you go into reverse? Does a blank screen open that says something like "Objects may be reversed"?

If not, make sure your backup detection is working.  Go to Settings/Navi Settings/Connection Status. Look at the Back Signal line. It should say High or Low. With the car running shift into and out of reverse. The setting should change. If not, the reverse wire isn't connected correctly.  It also give you a hint on how the Polarity needs to be set in the camera settings.

This test only works when the camera has a separate power wire (not powered by a backup light). Go to Settings/Map Settings/View Mode and select Rear View. When you return to the map screen you should see a split screen, with the camera image on the left. If it is black, your camera isn't powered or not connected correctly.

Hi thanks for the reply..

The rear cam is wired Live to reversing light wire. Grounded black

So only need it on when reversing

Rear light. Work ok

The cam works ok when in reverse but only when I physically select it I the menu

But annoyingly 7 out of 10 times is freezes on that screen and I have to hold the map button to get it running again

Can’t seem to get it to auto bring on the cam when reversing ( same as my other car) different unit)

The only wire left not connected on my wiring is the speed wire as I have no idea where this connects on a new vivaro

Hi thanks for the reply..

The rear cam is wired Live to reversing light wire. Grounded black

So only need it on when reversing

Rear light. Work ok

The cam works ok when in reverse but only when I physically select it I the menu

But annoyingly 7 out of 10 times is freezes on that screen and I have to hold the map button to get it running again

Can’t seem to get it to auto bring on the cam when reversing ( same as my other car) different unit)

The only wire left not connected on my wiring is the speed wire as I have no idea where this connects on a new vivaro

Go to Settings/Navi Settings/Connection Status. Look at the Back Signal line. It should say High or Low. With the car running shift into and out of reverse. The setting should change. If not, the reverse wire isn't connected correctly.  It also give you a hint on how the Polarity needs to be set in the camera settings.

What happens when you do this? Does the Back Signal status change?

To be clear, Do you have two wires tapped into your backup light wire? The red from your camera and the violet/white wire from the head unit?

BTW, I don't know what unit you have. It probably doesn't matter since most Pioneer units work on the same principle.

Sorry missed your respnce befor I re posted.

I missed the violet wire all connected now just can’t seem to find any info to sort the speed signal,wire

Even nipped into local dealer found extrewmly unhelpful

Great.

As far as VSS, many people don't connect it. It does increase the speed accuracy over short distances because it is an immediate reading - similar to your speedometer. It also helps with dead reckoning - such as when driving in an area without GPS satellite reception (like tunnel, parking garage).  

In case you don't know what it is - it is to be connected to some signal that pulses (on/off) at a rate proportional to a wheel's rotation. It might be once per tire rotation, or many times - as long as it is constant. rate per rotation The head unit will learn over time (using GPS location) what the vehicle's distance-per-pulse is.

But each vehicle's wiring is different. In my case, I had help from someone who knew my car's electronics. I think it was at the control unit for my speedometer. Anoth possibility is your ABS controller. See if you can get your vehicle's wiring diagram.