AVIC411.com

Well, I switched back to android and went with the Galaxy S8 plus, I had my Avic 6200/maestra in the 2013 silverado setup for my iphone...Well, I thought it was as simple as bringing the head unit out and switching the usb1 to usb2....Well, it doesnt even begin to recognize my Galaxy S8

I tried setting up my son's 'Droid to USB2 (I have both in the 8200) and after two days of dicking around, I gave up.

USB1 - plug in any iPhone and go.

That alone made me happy to stick to Apple.  And yes, I went in and played with all the settings and zilch.

Not trying to be a troll or fanboy - Apple has it's own issues - but with the CarPlay, Apple wins here.

Good luck.  If you figure it out, post up...

Android Auto not working for newer USB Type-C phones (including Pixel)?

Applicable models: AVIC-8201NEX, AVIC-8200NEX, AVIC-8100NEX, AVIC-7201NEX, AVIC-7200NEX, AVIC-7100NEX, AVH-4201NEX, AVH-4200NEX, AVH-4100NEX

Pioneer has identified a connectivity issue between newer phones using USB Type-C (Nexus, Pixel, etc.) and Android Auto compatible Pioneer NEX in-dash receivers when used with a non-certified or non-compliant USB Type-C cable or USB Type-C extension cable.

If you are experiencing this connectivity issue, we recommend directly connecting the Pioneer NEX in-dash receiver to the phone using only the Pioneer supplied USB Type-A extension cable and a certified USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable, preferably under 3 ft. in length. Direct connection using a certified USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable, preferably under 3 ft. in length is also acceptable (omitting the Pioneer supplied USB Type-A extension cable).

Note: Connecting the Pioneer NEX in-dash receiver to the phone using Original Equipment (OE) USB ports, found in some vehicles, can produce connectivity issues and is not recommended.

Please see below for a list of certified USB Type-A to USB Type-C cables that have been recommended for this use by Google for use (November 2016).

Manufacturer Product Description Length (ft.) F-Color Type C Cable, 6.6ft Long F-Colorâ„¢ Braided Reversible Charger 6.6 Cable Matters USB 3.1 Type C (USB-C) to Type A(USB-A) 3.3 YooTech USB Type C Cable, Yoozon® 3.3ft/1m USB 2.0 Type C to Type A (USB-C to USB-A) Cable 3.3 Rachan T Enterprise USB Type C cable (USB-C) to USB3.0 Type A: TRUE CURRENT Aluminum shell and Braid Shield cable Reversible 3.3 Nekteck Direct Nekteck USB 3.1 USB Type C (USB-C) to USB Type A USB 3.0 Male Data & Charging Cable 3.3 FRiEQ FRiEQ Hi-speed USB 3.1 Type C Cable - 3.3ft/1m - Micro USB 3.1 Type C Male to Standard Type A USB 3.0 Male Data Cable 3.3 Belkin 2.0 USB-A to USB Type C (USB-C) Charge Cable 6 iOrange-E Braided Cable with Reversible Connector 6.6
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks tekki.  Still no good though.  I tried two of the certified cables using the Pioneer extension cable and the directly connected to the receiver; same results. Very frustrating.  

I'm going to reach out to Pioneer support to see how far that takes me.  

I can confirm that an aftermarket cord (or even a Samsung cord that is using a type C adapter) will bork the Android Auto connection. Mine fails every time with an aftermarket micro USB (with a type C adapter).

For what it is worth, I have the S-8 and it works well with the Android Auto on the Pioneer 8200nex. You do have to use the correct USB port (wasn't it number 2?), and you have to make sure that under settings>>inputs>>setup phone>>select USB (something like this, at least on the 8200).

I've also tinkered with the HDMI cable and the AutoApp feature. It is buggy, but works most of the time on the S-8. I use that DashCommand program and a few other things through the S8. I also have a Maestro iDatalink hooked up (Shelby GT500).

Only thing that burns my buns is no true mirroring. I just returned a brand new Kenwood (Amazon) and got the 8200nex not knowing it didn't do mirroring. Sigh...

Update:  I got it working!!  Here's what I did:

• I reinstalled Android Auto on the S8 (probably didn't need to do this, but I figured why not)
  • Used an Anker Powerline+ USB-C to USB 3.0 cable (3ft) directly connected to USB-2 on the receiver (yes, I know, that cable its not certified by Pioneer but the certified cables didn't work)
  • Reset the input settings on the Pioneer.  Went from USB2 to HDMI and then back to USB2....and that did the trick!!  Not sure why or how or whatever, but it's working.  I tried the certified cables that I purchased last week just for giggles and they're still no good.  The Pioneer and the phone like the Anker cable for whatever reason.  Maybe because it's USB3?  I don't know  :?