AVIC411.com

Hello everyone,

I have an issue with my Z130BT that I've owned since 2010 and have recently been having issues with the tuner menu,

the presets on the right side of the screen continuously scrolls only to stop at the last preset it was on and then it continues to scroll again stopping at the same preset.

it continues that until I shut off the vehicle, and even then its a hit and miss if it does it again upon starting with the HU powered down and powered back up.

Everything else works fine and has had the most up to date firmware on it as of a month ago though the problem existed before the update.

I was really hoping the update would fix it but nope...

Any idea whats causing that?

Could be several things. I almost never use my radio, so you might need to look-up in the manual. Sounds like the tuner is seeking a frequency lock. There is a setting that affects tuner sensitivity. It might be accessed through the gear (settings) icon on the bottom of the FM screen.

Do you get any stations while it is seeking? Any sound from the radio?

Can you manually tune? I don't mean presets - there is a manual tune up/down.

Also could be a problem with the antenna. Is yours amplified? Could be the power or coax wire unplugged.

Or your tuner could be shot.

Before tearing it out, try a hard reset (disconnect battery) or a factory reset. You'll loose several settings.

• 2 weeks later...

There's not enough information here to begin to diagnose this. My first thought is that this is a signal issue. That could be caused by an antenna issue, or a sensitivity setting in the headunit.  If it isn't one or the other, its a hardware problem in the headunit.  That usually means sending it to a technician.

If you've got a manual, look at the FM tuner section. If don't have a manual, download one from Pioneer. 

First question I have is what station frequency does it keep returning to?  Is it 87.9 or 107.9? (assuming a US unit). That might indicate that the tuner could not find a frequency which it could lock onto. Those are the end points of this tuner's FM frequencies.

On the FM screen there is a signal strength indicator for the tuned station. Of course, if it is tuned to a non-existing station, there will be a poor (or none) signal strength. Unfortunately the manual doesn't show how to interpret this indicator, but the screen-shot does show what it should look like with a good signal.

On the bottom-left corner of the FM screen, touch the gears icon (Settings), then touch [Local] then touch [On]. Make note of the sensitivity level (1-4), then set it to 1. The higher the number the more filtering the tuner does (eliminating weak stations). Level 4 eliminates all but very strong stations.

Exit out of settings and try tuning to a station manually. Does it work better? If no change (or even only a little better), go back into the settings/Local and turn if Off. The try tuning again. If no (or only slight) improvement,  I'd next look at your antenna. You may need to remove the headunit to inspect the wiring.

It is possible the antenna connection is loose. If your antenna is in the window glass it is amplified and might be powered by the headunit (depending on how it was initially installed). The headunit's power wire (blue wire in the power harness) might of become disconnected. It is possible the installer used some other fused switched power source, So you'd need to check your wiring.  It is also possible that the antenna's ground wire is loose. Or maybe the antenna is faulty. I don't know how to diagnose this. A stereo shop might have instruments to test this.

If none of the above fixes or significantly changes the symptoms, it is likely that your hardware tuner is malfunctioning. If you are technical enough to service the unit yourself,  you likely wouldn't be here asking for help. So I'd recommend sending it for repair.

• 3 months later...

Anyone ever find a fix for this??

There is no magic pill - cure-all for this issue. It likely is an installation issue which will vary for each vehicle. Is your antenna in the windshield? Is the antenna amp power wire connected? Is your antenna grounded? I'm no expert on this stuff but those are the most likely issues beyond what I posted above.

While it could be a problem with your head unit, you need to eliminate everything else first. If you can't figure it out, take it to a car electronics specialty shop.

• 3 months later...

Also this only happens once the vehicles been running for a while, turned off and turned back on. First thing in the morning or after a long while off it's fine, once you change the station or use another mode and then go back to the radio this starts.

So, that eliminates software and installation issues. The only thing left is hardware. Some component regarding the FM tuner is failing - possibly due to heat sensitivity. Seems the only resolution is the have it repaired.

I'm in Vancouver BC Canada, sending it out seems expensive, there is a local shop, supposedly one of the best in town to deal with electronics, where would I have to send to if I decide to send it out? I think Toronto has a Pioneer repair center

I have no affiliation with Pioneer so I wouldn't know. I'm sure it is in their documentation or on their web site.

• 8 months later...
On 12/23/2017 at 3:22 AM, bluesteel731 said:

Also this only happens once the vehicles been running for a while, turned off and turned back on. First thing in the morning or after a long while off it's fine, once you change the station or use another mode and then go back to the radio this starts.

Bluesteel,

I have had this exact issue for about 6 months. Did you ever find out what it was or get it fixed? I would love any advice you can offer.

Thanks,