AVIC411.com

Washed out look Maps Android Auto

I was just curious, but some of the Google apps that display on my 8200nex (actually, I guess Waze and Google Maps) are washed out looking. This is especially prevalent in Android Auto, where the home screen of Android Auto is vibrant blue...but when I click on the navigate icon, Google maps looks all washed out.

My question is, is this normal? The stock maps on the 8200 are useless (seriously useless), so this is a big deal if this is all I get (is a washed out maps through Android Auto). Waze is washed out looking too when you use an HDMI cable (and go through that App program I forget the name of).

Anybody else?

Waze for android auto is in closed beta testing right now.  Won't have to use an hdmi cable for much longer.  The already added the map submenu to android auto.  It was in WAZE's beta program in april, now it just entered android's beta program.

https://tech.blorge.com/2017/06/04/busting-traffic-waze-beta-release-android-auto-beta-testers/158249

But to your point, I have a 4200nex and the apps don't look washed out at all, they look as good as they do on my phone..  Are you sure you set your brightness and contrast levels correctly???  

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4200nex with a google pixel. Yet I don't think the phone matters. I think is the display it doesn't project good colors. For example the google maps turn directions background looks like a lime green. But on the 8200nex with the better display it looks correct like a forest green.

The 8200 costs several hundred more. I choosed to live with the washed out color and save the cash.

My guess is in a few years pioneer should have glass panels on all their models

I had the 8000 with carplay and decided to Go android, never used the maps in the 8000 because they were absolutely terrible, that's why i went 4200 this time around. Just very disappointed in android auto display.

• 3 weeks later...

Pioneer did a great job hiding the controls to fix the washed out AA screens.

Try this...

Connect your phone and go into AA.  Launch Maps.  Press the center button with 4 dots on it.  Press the settings icon (gears).  Scroll down to 'Picture Settings'  Adjust brightness to -15, contrast to -10, color to +4 and close the settings.  Make sure while you are in the settings, google maps is displayed in the background as if its the Pioneer menu in the background, you are adjusting the settings for that, not AA.

You may find other settings work a bit better for you but now that you know how to adjust...

Made Google Maps MUCH better and more readable on my 4200NEX.  Not perfect but usable.

• 4 months later...