AVIC411.com

Question about using Waze

The info I've seen online suggests that in order to use Waze with my AVIC 5200-NEX I need to hook up an HDMI cable. Some less in depth research suggests that on other Pioneer lines, HDMI is *not* required.

I don't really want to run an HDMI cable, and have no interest in watching video on my screen. Does Waze *really* require the HDMI connection to function on the NEX HU's??

Thanks for any definitive info!!

2 ways to do it but you need an android phone

Mirrorlink feature is one way. And the other way is wait a little while because waze is in beta right now to be used on android auto.

If your an iPhone user, just start waze and use Bluetooth, youbwont get video on your head unit from waze but at least you will get audio prompts and use of the audible warnings

I used apple carplay on my 8000 since it became available, in my opinion carplay has been a much better experience than android auto. I do not line the way android auto looks on the 4200 and I don't like that it takes over the phone completely

I had the opposite experience.  I have an iphone but bought a $100 android phone so I could use an SD card and load up all my spotify playlists.  Then I discovered that I like android auto better.  The coverart looks much nicer while using spotify and while navigating, it'll give a pop-up window showing the song for a few seconds after it's changed. 

Waze is also in beta earlier this month, so won't be long until all the bugs are worked out and they can go to a full release.  https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/07/waze-android-auto-beta/