AVIC411.com

7200nex speed display error

late last year i bought a 7200nex, installed it in my vehicle at the time and all was right in the world. traded that car in on another, a 2013 f150, and installed the 7200 along with a maestro rr. everything works as it should with the exception of the displayed speed.

when in the nav screen if you hit the button on the lower left it brings up a screen with some gauges and in the center is the current speed and also the heading. mine is displaying a little less than half the speed i am actually traveling. at 35-40 it says i am doing 17. at 41-45 is says i am doing 21-22 and so on.

i have the speed sensor wire connected and when viewing the pulse signal it matched my speed at every step. i have 9-10 main satellites connected and 4-6 secondary (i am assuming since it displays two numbers).

i was on an older firmware so i updated that to the latest available, 1.04. i flashed the maestro as it requires the serial number of the 7200 in order to properly communicate with it. issue persists.

called pioneer support and they were basically useless. the only possible solution they offered was to disconnect the speed sensor wire which would be a pain in the ass to get to due to what is required to be removed on the truck. even if i did that i can't see how it would make a difference since that wire's signal is the only one that is displaying correctly.

called idatalink support and they said exactly what i expected them too, that's it's a pioneer issue and nothing their unit did or can be fixed. this makes sense and i'm good with that.

has anyone ever had a problem similar to this with any of the nex or avic lines from pioneer? the last step solution would be to remove the entire thing and take it to a service center but if i do that not only will i be without a headunit but i won't have any temp control since it won't be connected to the car without the headunit inline with everything else.

For what it's worth, I don't have the speed wire hooked up and I have pretty accurate speed displayed relying on the nav/ gps. I've contemplated hooking it up for the sake of it, but found it not necessary.  This is on a 6100nex, and it's been in two different vehicles so far without speed wire.

Perhaps you need a factory reset? Pioneer recommends a reset after a fresh install.  Not sure if you did that already or not, but it may or may not help. Being disconnected from that battery only resets so much, so a manual reset might be needed. Sure it may be a pain having to reconfigure everything afterwards, but it may solve the problem. Maybe the HU is conflicted with old and new data...I dunno.   Just be sure to take notes on all your custom settings and stuff before you do so.  All your sound processor settings, eq, saved radio stations, etc.

Other than that... As much of a pain it might be, disconnecting that wire may actually remedy the issue. If it gets to a point that you can't narrow the issue down any further through other explanations, disconnecting and testing would at least confirm whether that was it or not.  Hopefully in that wire leading to the speed sensor location somewhere, you can make a clean cut and add connectors to make it easier to reconnect if need be.

Good luck and I hope you figure it out. Would be nice to hear back from you either after you solve it or reports on failed attempts.  

thanks for the idea. tried the reset, no help. now in addition to displaying the speed incorrectly the gps, even with all the satellites connected, is not working correctly. the direction is about 180 degrees off and the location is off to the sides of the streets i am on. looks like i am going to have to send it in to pioneer and hope these 90+ days go away since i won't have AC in the car while the hu is out.

Not had the speed wire hooked up since Day 1 on my 5000 and can't say that I've ever missed it. Speed is consistent(ish) with speedo and all is well. I'd love to figure out how to get rid of the speed thing on my 5000; it's silly and I never use it.