AVIC411.com

Errors in the NAV Spoken Word

Didn't know what else to title this as   :???:

I have an NEX 6100 with what I assume is still the factory maps and firmware  -  I've never upgraded it anyway

When navigating, it will often say "Take Exit 51 dot" which I assume is the computer 'speaking 51. because there's a period after the 51?

Sometimes it will say "Continue on Interstate 20 Double-You-Bee"  Which I assume is 20 WB, or westbound

The weird part is what it does for 'eastbound'  -  It doesn't say 'E B' but instead it says 'exabyte'  -  Anytime there's an EB, it says 'exabyte' instead

Anyone else ever hear this?  Has there ever been an upgrade to correct it?  Would I need to upgrade the maps to fix it, or upgrade the firmware?

Sorry to bother you high tech types with this piddly little stuff, but who else to ask?   :???:

Thanks!

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Well, more than 60 reads here about this and evidently nobody but me is experiencing this issue

I'm guessing the errors are in my old maps and not the software  -  My 6100 came with 2012 maps and I found a guy on eBay who sells 2017 Q2 maps for the 5100 and 6100 units on an SD card for $35.  Supposed to be so simple to install that even I can do it   :???:

For reference . . . . I've downloaded the patch to turn off the @#$% screen on start-up, but haven't managed to get that installed correctly yet   :shock:   This stuff isn't simple for me and I'm in constant fear of bricking my unit!

We'll see what happens when I get the new maps installed and I'll let you all know later.  Gotta be worth $35 even it it doesn't solve the problem, just to have the new maps . . . . right?

Don

Well, the new maps uploaded successfully.  I also installed the version 1.10 firmware  -  It had version 1.05 previously.  And . . . . I found out why I couldn't upload the patch to eliminate the start-up screen.  Mine is a 6100 and the patch only works on 5000, 6000, 7000 and 8000 units

Next time we take the van somewhere, I'll report back as to whether this solved my problem

Don