AVIC411.com

AVIC NEX8100 Stuck - what to do!

Hi,

I am so stuck! I have had an AVIC 8100 in my Nissan Frontier for a few years now with no problems, until recently. I really put a lot of time and research into this expensive puppy and did it up with nice amp, speakers, Sub, steering wheel controls, iPhone hookup, HDMI in, 256GB  Hard drive in the glove box etc.

I had eventually hooked up a cheapo License plate frame cam for a backup camera and all worked perfect. Then one day a few weeks ago it just gave no video at all, so I bought a new one, thinking that was the issue (water, Ice, northern road salt. etc). Then I noticed that when putting into reverse gear (it's an automatic) it didn't even switch it over to the video input anymore, where it at least before it went to a black screen with no vid feed when the camera first went out. Weather has sucked here so it took a while before I had time and motivation to look at it as well as time to order and receive new cam.

Well, I disconnected the old one, and plugged in the new one hoping it was a simple fix, but no glory. So I started messing around in the settings of the unit, and that's where things went real bad! Somehow I think I set it for a ground signal instead of 12v power in the config settings, as well as perhaps something else in the cam settings. After powering the truck off and back on, all I got was a screen that said "Caution: The video may appear reversed" and nothing else! no input from the front panel would do anything.Then the next step was to check the voltage with a meter going to the cam. I had ran power off the backup light +12v for cam power, so i started there. Well there was no 12v at the connector so that was most likely the issue (corroded connection, fuse or whatever). I should have checked this FIRST but I didn't. So I dug out the manual, and figured a system reset was in order. I did that today, and now steering wheel controls do nothing, and I have nothing. Unit lights up, and goes straight to "Caution: The video may appear reversed", and I can do nothing to help it. The screen wont open or anything. Tried holding MAP button while powering on - nothing (read that somewhere on the web).

Now what do I do? Please help. I did everything the right way, soldered all connections inside and out. Sealed everything with liquid tape and electrical tape. I dont even remember all the crazy hookups this thing required to get everything right.

Man am I lost at this point! I know I am in the right place for the expert help I need, because I scoured this site when going through all the installs years ago on this baby - you guys are the best! So, I await the forum experts sage advise on this stupid cam issue that has absolutely hosed my unit for the time being.

Chris

Battery pull did nothing.

Now I am thinking that the purple reverse wire may do something. Wonder if disconnecting it will change anything.

have dash apart now. Gonna cut the wire and say a little prayer to the Pioneer gods.....

seems no one is paying attention, so at least this is serving as a notepad for things I have tried.

Update:

Unit will not open front lcd door to access sd card. cant find a manual override.

no response from any front keys or remote.

still boots up and only text is "caution: the video may be reversed"

the only thing that works is apple car play- nothing on screen but when I hook up phone it does come over speakers,

There must be something that can be done and I am willing to try anything at the point.

Having a $1000 brick in my dash really sucks!!!

Please help someone!

Oh, and bonee - no file in link say it was removed. thanks anyways

Persistence pays!

Found some posts here that talked about pressing the Eject and Reset buttons at the same time. Well, that didn't work because I had a different model - BUT, I started holding down different front panel buttons down at the same time for 5 seconds. I found a combination that worked. I don't know which they were. Sorry. Just know that holding down those front panel buttons down is what did it. I am now getting into the menus and was able to turn off the camera setting that I screwed up before.

So moral of the story is if you are stuck with AVIC taking no input at all from anything and you cant get into the menu, try holding different panel buttons simultaneously for 5 -8 seconds until the menu comes back!

Good luck