AVIC411.com

8200 Intermittent Backup Camera Not Working

I've got a weird backup camera issue with my 8200. 

Everything was professionally installed, and generally works well, but my backup camera only works intermittently. 

When I put the vehicle into reverse, the head unit will change to the reverse camera view, but about 50% of the time, it'll be a blank screen, and 50% of the time it'll be the camera feed. 

Sometimes while I'm backing up, the screen will either switch from the feed to a blank screen, or from a blank screen back to the feed.   Other times, it'll stay blank the entire time I'm backing up, or show the feed the entire time I'm backing up. 

The troubleshooting I've done so far is: 

• Disabling and removing the front camera (in case that was somehow interfering) 
  • Updating the unit's firmware
  • Checking the wiring from the rear camera to the headunit for loose connections

Anything else I should try? 

• 3 months later...
On 4/3/2018 at 2:17 PM, AndrewFromIdaho said:

I've got a weird backup camera issue with my 8200. 

Everything was professionally installed, and generally works well, but my backup camera only works intermittently. 

When I put the vehicle into reverse, the head unit will change to the reverse camera view, but about 50% of the time, it'll be a blank screen, and 50% of the time it'll be the camera feed. 

Sometimes while I'm backing up, the screen will either switch from the feed to a blank screen, or from a blank screen back to the feed.   Other times, it'll stay blank the entire time I'm backing up, or show the feed the entire time I'm backing up. 

The troubleshooting I've done so far is: 

• Disabling and removing the front camera (in case that was somehow interfering) 
  • Updating the unit's firmware
  • Checking the wiring from the rear camera to the headunit for loose connections

Anything else I should try? 

Im having the same problem. Im using the maestro rr. I have the Pioneer cam set as the front cam and the kenwood from my previous install as the backup cam.

Everytime i goto settings camera view is set to off. Not sure if this is normal or if that setting does something else. Im gonna refer to the downloaded PDF of the owners manual and see if im doing something wrong.

This is my first Pioneer head unit as i have always been a Kenwood guy. So far I am wickedly impressed with the Pioneer and cant believe how shitty the Kenwood dnx9990hd was compared to this 8200nex.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have been having the same problem. In my case, it seems to happen more frequently the longer the unit is active e.g. after 2+ hours, although I haven't been keeping track. The display changes to just a black screen with the parking guidelines but as soon as I turn the key off and open the door (so that the unit turns off), the next time I go into reverse it works again. That suggests to me that the signal to show the camera view is being received but the actual video isn't being sent or received. Whether that's hardware or software issue remains to be seen. Of course, I asked Pioneer support and their response ("make sure your e-brake is on") wasn't the least bit helpful.

I've only just started on this forum so maybe the answer is out there somewhere.

BTW, I do know that setting "Camera view" to "On" will display the camera view at all times but is not required to be "On" for the backup camera to work when the vehicle is in reverse.