AVIC411.com

w4400nex how to bypass e brake

7 hours ago, gettrey said:

I'm in the process of installing a 4400nex in my excursion.  I have a couple of questions.  After doing the "set on" menu change, is the bypass still necessary?  Also, with the bypass installed, will I have trouble getting my AA to pair with my phone?  I have the micro bypass installed right now, and I'm getting the "please stop vehicle and look at your phone to finish blah blah blah" even when the vehicle is stopped.

I've heard that you can just ground the e-brake (no bypass needed) once you update the firmware to 1.01. Have you connected the GPS antenna? That may be necessary. Otherwise, not sure why you are stil getting that error msg.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/23/2018 at 6:04 PM, YellowSnow said:

I am in the same boat. I can't get Android Auto to work at all after installing an AVH-W4400NEX in my '03 WRX today.

I installed the head unit into my car, but it was getting dark so I didn't install the mic or GPS antenna yet and everything is working great so far, except for Android Auto. When I try to use it, I get, "To use Android Auto, please stop your car and check your Android phone," on the head unit. There was also another brief error about needing to connect the external GPS antenna so I guess I'll go ahead and install that too when I install the mic tomorrow. I should also mention that my phone is on Oreo, not Pie, and I think I've hear that you need Pie for wireless Android Auto and maybe the USB cable I connected to the head unit (USB port 2 on the back) was a crappy one (I tend to cycle ones that only charge, don't work with data, to my car) and I just need to use a better one?

So far, I'm hopeful since everything besides Android Auto works even though I didn't connect the e-brake wire or the speed sensor wire, and really don't want to. I even used the screen mirror to watch some Youtube videos.

So what's the point of the external GPS antenna other than to nanny you? When I get Android Auto working, will I be able to put my phone away and while running Google Maps or Waze, it'll use my phones data plan but the head unit's external GPS antenna for the GPS app on my phone somehow???

To update, I installed the GPS antenna but I'm still getting error messages from the phone and 4400 about needing to set the brake when trying to use Android Auto. I have to use USB because it's a Galaxy S7 with Oreo, not Pie. So I ordered a micro bypass, but someone on another forum said I just need to ground the e-brake wire, no micro bypass required once I do that, so I'll try that first.

Update on my install:  I pulled my head back out yesterday and realized that my remote trigger wire had pulled out of the connector.  After I fixed that, everything worked.  So I have the pioneer 4400nex, google pixel2xl, and microbypass installed.  I have GPS antenna connected.  I do not have the VSS connected.  Everything is working fine.  My AA works great, and wireless AA works well also.  I still couldn't watch video in motion, like others I could see it until about 10mph then a warning screen would come up.  So I updated the firmware on my head unit and did the "set on" input and now I can watch video at any speed.  I would like to thank everyone who has posted information about these issues as it has guided me to this favorable ending to my install.  Let me know if you have any questions about something I may have left out.

Worked like a charm, shout out to krankin for this tip!!

I also installed the micro-bypass (was very easy) and originally it was failing after I started moving (sometimes the parking-brake error came up).

l installed the update and pressed the screen ~10 seconds and voila works flawlessly; took less than 15 minutes from download to install.

The installed micro-bypass also opens up all possible menu items, even when moving, BT, video, etc...

So far it has worked great without errors/warnings!

Lastly, the 4400 is a great DD deck...solid response time and customization!!  

Cheers and NHY!!

Hi, new member here. 

I'm in process of installing 4400 onto my 06 Odyssey and will try to tackle the bypass issue later.

The volume coming out of speaker is very low even after cranking up the max, including AA and CD playback. I tried to connect/disconnect amplifier on but no luck. 

Any help is appreciated!   

I have a 2015 Hyundai Elantra (limited).  WIth the bypass on, on the dashboard it shows the parking break is enabled.  That's ok since it's not, however... when i get to about 5mph, i get the continuous warning beeping... that the parking break is on!  My only solution so far, was to put the bypass on a SWITCH which i can turn on and off as needed.  Not ideal at all.  The only real benefit for me, is that i can load more channels when searching apps like Tuned-In looking for stations. 

I'll need to go back through this thread and see if there are any other tips i can try.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:15 AM, mdpauley said:

I found this on ebay, has anyone tried it? It says it works on the W4400.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Bypass-Pioneer-AVH-W4400NEX-for-video-dvd-and-settings-BLUETOOTH-/253625514233

Yes, this is the one i got for my 2015 Elantra and the AVH-4200NEX.  After install, the dash shows that the parking brake is on (even though it's not) which is kinda the point... to trick it into thinking it's on however once you start to drive and get to about 5mph, you get a continuous beeping alerting you that the parking brake is on.  UGH.  :)  So i added a switch on the power lead so that i can turn the bypass off and on as needed.  At the end of the day... it doesn't work right.

I see others (as recently as December, so current) say i need to update the firmware to v1.0.1 but i don't think that's for the NEX.  I think it's for the other receiver.  My receiver is at 1.07.  So i'm a touch confused but trying to figure it out.  I will also try the lower left of the screen where you touch it for about 15 seconds or so, to see if that works.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, I just got my AVH w4400 install went smooth, updated the firmware to 1.01 and wired up the micro bypass. It did not have the video playing while in motion after 5mph. So I unplugged the GPS antenna. After I unplugged the GPS antenna then I did not have a problem with the videos showing while in motion.

So my question is... is there a way to have the GPS antenna connected and have the video in motion?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I installed this w4400nex on my Nissan Altima 2012. Updated firmware to 1.01. I did the bypass 10s trick. I did not install bypass device.

I have motion video worked.

I have Apple Car Play worked flawlessly. 

My only issue is Android Auto (AA) using Samsung GS8+ with Android 9 Pie and latest AA . After it connected via USB 2, the head unit said I need to stop the car and check AA on phone. On the phone it said I need to stop the car, and if the car stop, then engage break!

How do I get this to work? TIA

• 6 months later...
On 4/6/2019 at 12:26 PM, gsmhelper said:

Hi all, 

I installed this w4400nex on my Nissan Altima 2012. Updated firmware to 1.01. I did the bypass 10s trick. I did not install bypass device.

I have motion video worked.

I have Apple Car Play worked flawlessly. 

My only issue is Android Auto (AA) using Samsung GS8+ with Android 9 Pie and latest AA . After it connected via USB 2, the head unit said I need to stop the car and check AA on phone. On the phone it said I need to stop the car, and if the car stop, then engage break!

How do I get this to work? TIA

Did you ground the parking brake wire?