AVIC411.com

W4400 Newbie Questions

Hi all - just installed the W4400 (first Pioneer HU) and had 3 questions:

1) Is there a way to default to the radio (or another input) when I turn the car on? I don't necessarily want the car to auto-start dvds/sd card movies. 

2) I'm obviously having the same bypass issues so was wondering whats the downside of removing the GPS antenna? (sounds like that will solve the issue). 

3) My pixel 2 xl is not auto connecting - I have to manually connect from the phone's Bluetooth menu. Is that a known issue? I'm on latest Android P beta if that matters.   

Thanks!

It always defaults to the last input you had it on. So if it was on SD card then it will be on SD when you start the car again.

I just hooked up the handbrake line properly, IDK why people go out of their way to enable dangerous situations. But it is not required for operation. My SPH-DA120 used to set the clock from the GPS' time signal, which helped a lot with accuracy, since it was constantly being updated. But my W4400 does not. They expect you to set the clock manually, which is annoying. The car should be sending its GPS location to the phone, which would help save battery during wireless mode, since the phone won't have to power its own GPS module, although it probably does for redundancy reasons anyway. But I find that driving around downtown, the signal was much better for CarPlay once I hooked up my GPS antenna. You can forgo it, but is it really worth it to watch a movie while driving? Also, if the insurance companies find out that you have a bypass, they could cancel your coverage. They like to find literally any reason to deny coverage. So when, not if, you get into an accident while watching a movie, you better take the bypass out.

I have a iPhone 8 Plus and it auto connects every time. Some phones put the bluetooth module in to power saving mode, so maybe turn that off in the Android settings. You need both WiFi and Bluetooth enabled to do wireless CarPlay, I'd presume it's the same for Android Auto.