AVIC411.com

AVIC-8100NEX Crashing!

I installed my 8100 about 2 1/2 years ago and it's been fairly problem free up until the past few months. It started as an occasional lockup and reboot during startup and has gotten progressively worse to the point of locking up and rebooting while driving every other day or so. I updated the firmware to v1.11 last week and everything worked fine, but it still had the same lockup/reboot problem. 

This morning was the last straw. I was using Apple CarPlay as I have for the past week without any issues and the 8100 started locking up while using Waze (Waze and CarPlay FINALLY get to work together and now THIS crap!). I tried Google Maps and same problem. the 8100 and my iPhone kept locking up and rebooting. I finally disconnected the iPhone and the 8100 still locked up and got stuck on the NAV screen and wouldn't respond to any commands.

I'm going to call Pioneer, but I'm sure that they'll tell me that I need to send it in for service at a cost of $$$.

Any other ideas? I've see something on here about obtaining an image of the internal SD card and replacing it. I'm an electronics guy by nature and have no problem delving into that, but I would need the file and any particulars with regards to loading the file and locating the internal SD card with the OS on it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks anyway! 

I did a system reset after talking to Pioneer yesterday at lunchtime. It crashed once on the way home, but has behaved otherwise. Pioneer said if that didn't work, to remove the battery power from the unit for a minute. If that doesn't fix it, they said that I would need to send it in with $230 for repair. Not going to be happy if it comes to that as the unit is only 2 1/2 years old and has been well cared for. I'm not sure if the problem is a fault of the unit, or a problem with Apple CarPlay. 

• 6 months later...

These companies seem to think it's ok to design dozes of different models with different firmware and who cares if they constantly crash? I assume no crash reports are sent to Pioneer and it's not sustainable to support all the different models and updates even if they were. 

Apple has shown everyone that you have to maintain stable hardware enough to have a common OS at least for a while. Hardware and software are complex, it's naive to assume even for $1-2k that you're going to have reliable products, unless things are done that way.

• 4 years later...

I noted on Pioneer's website that the latest listed firmware revision for the 8100NEX is v1.11 (dated 08/12/2018).

Nothing since.  I was hoping perhaps Pioneer would have addressed the intermittent screen-freeze/reboot problem inherent when using Apple CarPlay, but no such luck.  I am guessing Pioneer already got my money and the model's warranty period has expired, and they've now discontinued the 8100NEX model....so it's not cost-effectve to expend resources on non-revenue venures?  I guess the short-sighted end is I won't purchase anything more from Pioneer and steer my friends away as well. 

Hello, Alpine.