AVIC411.com

Parasitic Battery Drain - AVIC 8200 NEX

Does anyone know how many amps the 8200 unit drains from the battery when vehicle is off?

I recently bought a used vehicle and shortly there after upgraded the head to an 8200 NEX. I also installed a new battery.  

After sitting for a few days, the battery is too weak to start the car.  With all car components off, there is a .176 A drain on the battery which seems high.  When I pull the radio fuse, the drain drops to .016 A.  I appreciate if anyone can share what the expected range of the parasitic drain is for the 8200.

<I think it is a great head unit by the way>

All modern radios have some battery drain to maintain basic functions such as the clock, radio pre-sets and other functions when the vehicle is off.  A parasitic drain of .05 A or less is considered typical.

To make it clear, no, I did not wire directly to the fuse box.  I followed recommended wiring instructions and used wiring harnesses from Crutchfield.

After performing a parasitic diagnostic, I found that something behind the fuse for the radio is pulling .176 A drain when the vehicle is off which is a little over 3 times what is considered normal.

I bought the vehicle used, so I don't know if there was something else modified before I purchased.  I will be consulting the wiring diagram and further troubleshooting next weekend.

If anyone knows of the amperage from their head unit (8200) when the vehicle is off, I would find that very useful.

Thanks!

I’ve found that some vehicles have constant power to the power outlets all the time. So as for RonS said my 2008 Chevy and 2007 Pontiac’s power outlets were always on even with key off. My 2010 Dodge has a keyed power outlet. I E the outlet has no power with the key off. It’s makes a difference what make vehicle you have. 

• 1 month later...

(Sorry, long)

Hi,

I've had my 8100NEX since 2014 in a 2012 Nissan Frontier.  There are no amps, cameras or a subwoofer attached.  I did have the HDMI, an AUX headphone jack and the USB1 attached.  The installation guide instructions directed me to attach the green wire to the *power* side of the parking brake switch (for obvious safety reasons during video playback).  Meanwhile, everywhere I searched online at the time advised the green wire was to be grounded, so that's what I did.  (I do wonder if one of the other attached wires was grounding to something in the dash.)

It worked, albeit poorly for years with my iPhone 7 plus (?)  I updated the first firmware/software, whatever but it didn't help much.  Fast forward about 3 years & my truck started experiencing a rapid parasitic load that discharged 2 batteries overnight.  (The original one and the replacement the next night).  The receiver stopped booting up at all so I removed the fuse from the GEM/BCM under the hood.  Finally, I removed the unit & was going to send it to Pioneer for requested repair.  On advice from a scary smart friend, I reinstalled it, but abandoned the green ground wire.  I removed all connections but the visor mic, 2 speakers, the antenna & USB1.  I should note I *very* securely grounded the black wire to the dash structure.

I tested the parasitic load with the radio fuse removed and it was .09  I then replaced the fuse, tested again and had the same reading.  On advice from the same friend I pressed the factory reset.  I've been using it all week and it works better than it ever has.  I think I successfully downloaded & extracted the newest firmware 1.11 to a known, empty FAT 32 formatted thumb drive last weekend & I'm a little scared to update it at this time.  Maybe I'll do it in a couple weeks, lol.

Also, I did the bottom left screen bypass and it has been working, too, negating a need to do anything with the green wire.

HTH