AVIC411.com

AVIC-W8500NEX Sporadically Reboots

I recently installed an AVIC-W8500NEX receiver in my 2015 Toyota Highlander.  Most of the time it functions normally except every 30-90 minutes it will spontaneously shut down and reboot.  I have checked all wiring, updated the firmware to the latest version (1.03) and reset the microprocessor, all to no avail.  Anyone else have this problem?  Pioneer tech support was essentially useless.  They believe the unit is defective and that I need to exchange it (what a nightmare it will be to uninstall everything - still waiting to hear from the vendor).

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

You're not alone. I had a 8200nex for 3 years and loved it. Moved it to my wife's van. Bought the 8500nex in mid December. Within 2 weeks it rebooted 5 times. Contacted Pioneer and they said to return it and replace it because it was likely to fail soon. Checked all wiring connections and had to reflash Maestro with replacement. The second unit seemed to be fine for the past 2 weeks. Then after 2 hours into a 3 hour roadtrip it rebooted. Was using Android Auto wirelessly connected to my Samsung S10E and playing Sirius XM. After reboot seemed fine. 4 days later (today) after just 15 minutes of driving only streaming Pandora (no Android Auto) it rebooted. So no common pattern yet. I have about a week left to be able to return this to Bestbuy... but I really love the unit. This is sad. Will call pioneer first though tomorrow. 

• 1 month later...

Any more feedback on this issue?  Also, can you all post up what vehicle you are using?  This seems to be happening more frequently in Toyota's from what I've see online.  We have this unit  in our 2015 Highlander and it just did one of these reboots for the first time.  Also using Maestro.

The more concerning part... the stock unit was doing this a BUNCH hence why we replaced it with the 8500.

Still seeing occasional reboots with no identifiable pattern.  I too am using the Maestro ADS-MRR with the T02 harness.  I am also using CarPlay so that may be a factor.  I'll be on the road for about 12 hours this weekend, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

On 2/28/2020 at 4:04 PM, mdgeek said:

Still seeing occasional reboots with no identifiable pattern.  I too am using the Maestro ADS-MRR with the T02 harness.  I am also using CarPlay so that may be a factor.  I'll be on the road for about 12 hours this weekend, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

What make vehicle are you in?

Ok, after a 12-hour roundtrip in my 2015 Highlander:

• Outbound leg, using CarPlay navigation + TuneIn app.
  • First 3 hours, no problem.
  • Stopped for gas.
  • Reboot within 15 minutes after resuming trip.
  • A second reboot within 5 minutes.
  • No further reboots for remainder of outbound leg.
  • Return leg, using CarPlay navigation + Pandora app.
  • Reboot within 1 hour.
  • No further reboots for remainder of trip.

So, no real pattern that I can see.

On occasion when the head unit reboots, I catch a glimpse of an error message on the screen, but it never persists long enough to read it.  Earlier this week, the following message popped up without a reboot.  I suspect this is the message that is being displayed during the reboots.  This suggests the Maestro unit may be to blame (or perhaps the wiring harness).

error.png

• 5 weeks later...