AVIC411.com

AVIC-W8500NEX Sporadically Reboots

On 5/3/2020 at 1:34 PM, Tiredhands said:

Sorry, following up Again. Made a jumper from the black/red wire to the red wire from the radio and capped the end going Into the RR per Maestro support. This will isolate the issue if it’s actually maestro related or radio related. Pretty sure the power goes directly to the radio now and not though the maestro. We’ll see if this fixes it. 

68282134-56DC-41BD-85A6-1856C98EA1F1.jpeg

Still no reboots? I’ve had a few with the maestro and new WT7600NEX. 

What’s the best way to tap into that black/ red wire? I’d like to cut it and solder/ shrink wrap. I don’t think I have the skills to strip it back and not cut the wire like you did! 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 8:08 PM, Dizle said:

3 days in with the power bypassing the Maestro and no reboots, seems like it’s fixed! 

I finally had the opportunity to try this workaround.  Since the pandemic, I have done very little driving.  Last week I went on a 12-hour road trip and decided that would be a good time to try the Maestro bypass (and re-flashed it while I was at it).  This clearly fixed the head unit reboot problem, but I did see one brief message that the Maestro unit had disconnected and one time where the steering wheel controls did not work for a short time.  It is clear to me that the problem is with the Maestro unit and not the head unit.  It isn't clear whether this is a problem inherent to all Maestro units or I just have a lemon (in which case I am clearly not alone).  It may well be too late to exchange the unit, but I'm going to give it a try.

15 minutes ago, mdgeek said:

I finally had the opportunity to try this workaround.  Since the pandemic, I have done very little driving.  Last week I went on a 12-hour road trip and decided that would be a good time to try the Maestro bypass (and re-flashed it while I was at it).  This clearly fixed the head unit reboot problem, but I did see one brief message that the Maestro unit had disconnected and one time where the steering wheel controls did not work for a short time.  It is clear to me that the problem is with the Maestro unit and not the head unit.  It isn't clear whether this is a problem inherent to all Maestro units or I just have a lemon (in which case I am clearly not alone).  It may well be too late to exchange the unit, but I'm going to give it a try.

Agreed, mine hasn’t rebooted since I did the bypass.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been going crazy with this same issue. I’m so glad I found this thread! Thank you! I have a 2011 4Runner limited and the 8500nex and it reboots unpredictably. I’m going to try what Tired Hands did. Thank you! Has anyone been able to update their Maestro with the new firmware and did that solve the problem without having to redirect power ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2020 at 1:31 AM, Angey Joe said:

I’ve been going crazy with this same issue. I’m so glad I found this thread! Thank you! I have a 2011 4Runner limited and the 8500nex and it reboots unpredictably. I’m going to try what Tired Hands did. Thank you! Has anyone been able to update their Maestro with the new firmware and did that solve the problem without having to redirect power ?

I reflashed the Maestro at the end of July, but the firmware version was the same as what I already had.  Other than reflashing, I don't know if there is a way to see what firmware updates are available.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 2:44 PM, Dizle said:

Agreed, mine hasn’t rebooted since I did the bypass.

Received a replacement Maestro unit under warranty (with no hassle whatsoever) and installed it today.  Left the USB cable connected and tucked it under the dash so I won't have to pull the unit to reflash it.  Fingers crossed but expectations low.

• 2 weeks later...

So... after getting my 8500 Nex back from United Radio (they replaced the System on chip)... still having reboot issues. After reading here about the power wire and Maestro issues...i find the new firmware is updated from 3.3 to 3.8. I updated a few weeks ago... and after many hours of driving... no reboot. So far so good. I would recommend the firmware update! 

On 6/21/2020 at 1:08 PM, Dizle said:

Still no reboots? I’ve had a few with the maestro and new WT7600NEX. 

What’s the best way to tap into that black/ red wire? I’d like to cut it and solder/ shrink wrap. I don’t think I have the skills to strip it back and not cut the wire like you did! 

I tried it a few times to practice on a spare wire of similiar gauge.

• 4 weeks later...

So...started getting reboots again. Totally random...no one thing or event that each occurrence has in common. Will try the power wire bypass now. (Pioneer insists on doing the whole United Radio repair process again. Honestly, if I have to go another month with a big ass hole in my dash...I'm just throwing this thing away and going with another brand. Such bullshit.)

I updated to the 3.9...drove to the store for some trivial get the hell out of the house before I lose my mind crap...and stereo rebooted again. So, I called Maestro iDatalink tech support. 

A long story short (substantial electronics background)...if a power bypass is involved, it sounds like it is a biasing issue in the module. Meaning, at one point everything is fine, then there is a current draw in the system, the system reboots, and everything is fine again until the next event. Since there is no one event (using apps, changing apps, bluetooth, etc) that is causing it, and more or direct power seems to be the solution, then we need to find the issue/event using too much power. 

It sounds like the tech folks are running to ground the same thing. They said the 3.6 firmware should have solved it. Then 3.8 and 3.9 followed quickly after that. I am going to wait on cutting wires and give them a chance to figure it out. As soon as I hear anything...I will post it here ASAP. In the meantime...random reboots. :^(

Cheers.