AVIC411.com

N2 to N3 brain problems

I recently picked up a N2 monitor and N3 brain off ebay (purchased separately). Everything hooked up fine and the 70 discs updated fine. I'm having a few problems though. The audio is inconsistent. Most of the time, the audio can barely be heard at the highest volume. I'm checking the wiring even though the amp was working 5 minutes before the install (which was minimal) with my other radio. I just want to be sure I wasn't supposed to do something else after updating the software like reset or something. The second problem is that the crappy IPOD interface is still there. My impression was that the graphical IPOD interface would be there with a N3 brain and the 70s disc. I had a AVH P6500DVD and one of the reasons I went with the AVIC instead of just adding a navigation unit was because I really wanted some kind of IPOD interface. Do I need to do something else? Other than that, I'm really impressed with the setup. I like the navigation, although I can tell there's a lot of reading in the future to figure it out. Should be getting voice command package. As a side note, Why is the voice command package with steering remote and microphone cheaper than the steering remote on Ebay??

I still need help getting the IPOD interface (improved). Will someone let me know if the upgrade requires more than just inserting disc and letting disc do its thing. I'm dying with this crappy interface and feeling stupid that I just didn't add the d#### navigation unit to the AVH P6500 (although) I like the Avic a lot more). Do I need to flash something, go into a menu or what?

Now, I'm really confused. I've been reading posts that seem to conflict. Several posts say the enhanced graphics comes from a chip in the head unit and others say it's in the brain. If it's in the HU, I'm screwed because I have the N2 and that wouldn't have it. If it's in the brain, then I should have the graphics. So I'm just hoping someone can answer these simple questions about the hookup. And I've read just about every post I can find on this and I can't get an answer.

The enhanced ipod graphics definitely comes from the brain. I should know because I have the same setup as you do, n2 headunit with an n3 brain. Before I upgraded to the n3 brain i had the same crappy interface you are talking about. I didnt have to go into any setup menu or flash anything once I installed the unit. It was simple plug and play and now i basically have an n3 with all the enhanced features. I personally think you should make sure that you really have a n3 brain because thats where all your problems are coming from.

Decided to open brain up and see what's inside. Basically there are 2 SMDs.

The markings on the first (70 pins) are as follows: Sony CXA2069Q (439W04G)

The second (80+ pins) is Pioneer PES41B (other markings obscured by white stuff)

So those are the two chips. Can anyone tell if these are in the N3 or N2. Any help is appreciated.

Basically, I guess I got screwed on eBAY. I looked through the posts and it seems that the PE5412B chip is the N2 chip and NOT for the N3. (correct me if I'm wrong). So I basically have an N2 brain for about for double what someone was willing to sell me a N2 brain with cables for (140). I'm pissed but I had held off leaving feedback since I had this problem getting graphics. I just sent email to seller (good luck with that) and I'll file complaint with eBAY if that doesn't work.

Yeah, it has a sticker on the bottom that says N3 and the shell says N3 but the insides have the chip that I read somewhere here is for the N2. Of course I'm PO'd because I've been trying for 2 weeks to get it to work. I decided to bite the bullet and get another one off eBAY.

• 2 weeks later...

go out and get the cdib200 because they are the updated versions which should give you on sreen controls. From what ive heard and understood thats why they braught out the 2nd gen adapters

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE THE ACTUAL N3 BRAIN

because you do state you may have the n2

You couldn't be more wrong. The CDIB100 and CDIB100II give you exactly the same interface. The CDI200 is only for the AVICD3, N4, and AVHP5900DVD. Please don't throw wild guesses out on this forum if you don't know what you are talking about. Thanks

go out and get the cdib200 because they are the updated versions which should give you on sreen controls. From what ive heard and understood thats why they braught out the 2nd gen adapters

ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE THE ACTUAL N3 BRAIN

because you do state you may have the n2