AVIC411.com

iphone video solution?

Ok I have been mulling this over for the last 2 days or so. I just got a avic-d3 installed in my car with the ipod direct cable. Everything works great except that I have an Iphone and the video does not work.

With the software update to Iphone 1.1.1, video out now works with the "apple AV composit cable". This cable comes with 3 RCA plugs (video, left, right) and an USB. How about plugging the rca plugs into the AV1 plugs of the main pioneer head unit harness and the USB into the optional USB kit?

With this setup you should be able to control your ipod stuff with the usb interface and then for video, switch over to AV1 on the head unit and control it with the iphone.

Of course the main hitch that I see to this is that the USB optional kit does not list the avic-d3 and who knows if you can actually control the iphone through the AV composite cable....

Thoughts / comments appreciated.

No, you wont be able to control the iphone from the D3 with the USB option. And as far as the composite cable, I am currently researching that possibility myself. But I dont think it will work without plugging the cable into the iphone dock or the USB power supply it comes with. I will post when I find out for sure.

So the guy who installed my d3 is curious too and will do the AV component cable to the AV1 RCA plugs for me for free. I currently plan on attaching the usb to a cigarette lighter power adapter so we don't have to mess with the cable.

I would think this will work, just didn't want to have 2 cables in my arm rest, one for video and one for using the ipod interface.

• 2 weeks later...

im going to be using my iphone with my avic D1 soon using the a/v composite apple cable, and the a/v input on the back of my D1. My question is, if i have a passenger, they will probably want to watch movies on it which is fine etc, but what about when im on my own, i kind of wanted to use the iphone as the ipod, and play music through the a/v ports. Im assuming this would work, but im just wondering now, will the sound keep playing music on my d1, even if i switch to the map mode if i need navi? or do the a/v inputs only work when the D1 is on a current screen?

• 1 month later...

yeah once I got over spending money on the ipod interface initially, I'm actually pretty happy with using the component cables. Using them actually works better than the ipod interface as far as stopping and starting the music and such when calls come in.

Just wish the iphone would display the album art in the video out.. that would be sweet!

Go with a more direct quick input and take the iPhone AV Composite cable RCA plugs, attach a female-to-female "bullet" on the the ends, and then connect to a standard male RCA to mini-plug AV cable and plug it right into AV1 on the front of the unit. This avoids having to mess with the cables on the rear of the headend and allows not only for iPhone quick input, but you can put any other video source through the same AV Cable. It works as I've walked several folks on this site through this process and all report working fine. Note though, you still have to control video on the iPhone as the D3.

• 3 months later...

OK - so I have the A/V Composite cable and an iPod interface cable on my D3 for my iPhone.

Why can't we just find the pinout for the connector on the A/V cable and splice in the RCA plugs for Video and Audio into the Pioneer interface cable? It would still mean controlling video from the iPod, unless it would just happen to work.

At least there would be only one connector to the iPhone...

Of the one thing I have noticed on this forum, it's the negativity coming from a few individuals. All you have made me want to do is ask the question 100 times more. Quit telling people to buy the Apple A/V cable - I have one and use it daily. Read my post carefully, and you might notice that.

You fail to recognize that some individuals may know a bit more about this system and the iPhone than you do. After all, this isn't rocket science but rather simple electronics. Put the correct people together, and we may just be able to come up with something.

Evolution is a good thing, but some species refuse to follow along...

So, back to the question at hand:

IF there is a video signal lead (and a ground, or common ground) in the Pioneer cable, then we just need to steal it and run it to the RCA input. Keeping it out of the Pioneer input may be a good thing, but trying to parallel it may be interesting as well. Then, find the L & R audio, parallel it to the RCA input, and you should have it working.

The goal is not to skip Apple's iPhone video control, but rather to have only one cable to plug in!