AVIC411.com

iphone video solution?

Of the one thing I have noticed on this forum, it's the negativity coming from a few individuals. All you have made me want to do is ask the question 100 times more. Quit telling people to buy the Apple A/V cable - I have one and use it daily. Read my post carefully, and you might notice that.

You fail to recognize that some individuals may know a bit more about this system and the iPhone than you do. After all, this isn't rocket science but rather simple electronics. Put the correct people together, and we may just be able to come up with something.

Evolution is a good thing, but some species refuse to follow along...

So, back to the question at hand:

IF there is a video signal lead (and a ground, or common ground) in the Pioneer cable, then we just need to steal it and run it to the RCA input. Keeping it out of the Pioneer input may be a good thing, but trying to parallel it may be interesting as well. Then, find the L & R audio, parallel it to the RCA input, and you should have it working.

The goal is not to skip Apple's iPhone video control, but rather to have only one cable to plug in!

So basically you want to take the video signal from the AVout and splice it into the Pioneer ipod interface cable instead of using the pinouts on the dock connector for video, right?

Well first, before even bothering to hack apart $60 or so worth of cables, you should determine if the ipod will actually output video through the AV port while simultaneously being controlled by the Pioneer interface cable via the dock connector. If it does, the next step would be to determine which wires inside the Pioneer cable carry the video signal and the video ground, cut those, and splice in the corresponding wires from the cable plugged into the ipod's AV out.

And even then, you have to be VERY good, because those wires are rather thin, and any splices in them if not done perfectly would just lead to a really crappy video signal.

And that's if it even works.

And the reason you may see some negitive attitudes from some of the "mega posters" is the question has been asked and answered more than 2 dozen times. On more than 2 dozen threads. By more than 2 dozen people with less than 10 posts and no idea how to use a search feature.

I say if you really want to hack two cables up, run the risk of damaging your radio, possibly short something out in your iPhone, all so you can have one cable in your console instead of two, then do it. If you are successfull, say you did it here and I am sure Pioneer will pay you to begin hacking cables for all of their customers that have the newer iPods and want the video feature to work.

I for one will continue using DVD's.

HiFiSi - thanks for the time you spent to respond. The only real way to tell what is going on will be to get into the pinout and hook up my scope. If the video signal is back-fed, I'll just leave it out of the Pioneer input and only go to the RCA. Noise from the ground is my largest concern.

So, maybe a $100 total investment. I have like 6 of the A/V cables laying around my house, so no biggie there. Maybe if I fry the radio then it will be $1K for a new HU and iPhone. IMHO, it would be worth it, and I'll take that risk. Heck, now it is a personal challenge.

Because, as you all know, money won't be an issue since Pioneer will be knocking down my door asking me to sell my cables. WTF?

Still lots of opinions, but no additional info - and that is what hours of searches led me to!

Oh, and my kids don't give a piss about DVD quality, they just want new SpongeBob episodes!

You could always pick up one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-5-PORTABLE-VIDEO-HDD-PLAYER-MP4-MP3-DVD-DIVX-AVI_W0QQitemZ300208289211QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3757QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and toss a $75 hard drive in it and hook it to the D3's rear AV input. You could put all your movies and music on it and control everything VIA the on screen menus with the remote control. Seems like an easier (and potentially much less costly) alternative.

That is actually kinda cool. I have a couple of Archos DVR that I use as remote viewing terminals for video when flying my UAV stuff, but they are hard to keep updated.

The whole point of doing the cable mod is just that, to save me a bit of time and make things simple.

I update my iPhone 2-4 times a day, and I can keep everyone happy with it. It has actually become the tool I was looking for. Now, I just need to be able to take advantage of its features.

I think I'll get a couple more Pioneer cables to hack on tomorrow if someone local has them.

Thanks again!

• 3 months later...

After reviewing these boards about integrating iPhone video into a D3, I came across this article. It appears to be both the authentication chip and the pin count/location together. (see this article: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07 ... eview.html). This guy comes across as an apple religious nut, but it sorta makes sense. Bottomline is that there is an authentication chip that turns on or off TV Out on the iPod Touch and iPhone, there is also a re-mapping of the pins.