AVIC411.com

AVH-W4400NEX Bad SD Card

Hi everyone, I am very new here and just pulled my unit from my car because of the dreaded Software Error screen after the splash screen comes up and the screen freaks out. I am OK buying my own SD card and replacing the current one but I was wondering if anyone out there has a good copy of the image on a AVH-W4400NEX and a link with instructions on how to flash it etc. I tried searching here but it seems to just have posts for people asking for images but I couldn't find a repository with them anywhere or links to good ones for this unit. 

Thanks in advance,

Bill

• 2 months later...
On 3/20/2020 at 5:25 PM, TheBillTM said:

Hi everyone, I am very new here and just pulled my unit from my car because of the dreaded Software Error screen after the splash screen comes up and the screen freaks out. I am OK buying my own SD card and replacing the current one but I was wondering if anyone out there has a good copy of the image on a AVH-W4400NEX and a link with instructions on how to flash it etc. I tried searching here but it seems to just have posts for people asking for images but I couldn't find a repository with them anywhere or links to good ones for this unit. 

Thanks in advance,

Bill

I have this issue too. Did you ever get an image?

• 3 months later...
On 9/7/2020 at 12:17 PM, smaxor5 said:

Same. The image in the backup thread here just doesn't work. I flashed with Balena etcher and did it manually with 4 different cards with no results. PLEASE, lemme know if anyone has a good image! 

Use that same file from the backup thread page 8.  Download it, unzip it I used WinZip.  Download this program Win32 Disk Imager and use it to transfer the image to an 8GB minimum SD card. You should be good to go I had no issues using this procedure.

On 9/11/2020 at 12:36 AM, Manfred58 said:

Use that same file from the backup thread page 8.  Download it, unzip it I used WinZip.  Download this program Win32 Disk Imager and use it to transfer the image to an 8GB minimum SD card. You should be good to go I had no issues using this procedure.

Like I said, I've used the most populat image burner for Mac OS and command line and it immediately just says Software Error every time for 4 different SD cards. Either my head unit is fried or that file is corrupted.

On 9/13/2020 at 7:59 PM, smaxor5 said:

Like I said, I've used the most populat image burner for Mac OS and command line and it immediately just says Software Error every time for 4 different SD cards. Either my head unit is fried or that file is corrupted.

I don't know anything about Mac systems maybe there is some issue there and this particular file I don't know.  I believe these radio OS files are Linux based, I was able to download, extract and copy the image using my Windows laptop.  If you have access to a Windows based system try it using that as I had no issues so I know the file was not corrupt.

Thanks so much for the tips!  I got my W4400NEX running again with a new SD card.  I downloaded the AVIC disk image from the mega.nz link provided in the "Backups and Images" folder on page 8.  I burned it to SD card using win32diskimager.  Helpful tip - you don't have to remove the faceplate connector PCB and ribbon cable on the front of the unit.  You only need to take the 2 screws on the sides off and you can slide the entire face plate drive assembly forward enough to access the SD card.  Use caution when disengaging the plastic face plate from the metal radio chassis.  There are several detents in the metal chassis where bosses on the plastic engage to hold it together.

EDIT - The first SD card that I used had issues.  Boot times were about a minute.  It was a 32GB microSD in a SD adapter.  I ordered some new SanDIsk 80MB/sec 16GB cards and tried one of those.  It totally fixed the issue.  Boot times now are about 10 secs.

The back up cam intermittently coming on seems to be fixed or dramatically improved by cleaning the ribbon cable contacts with acetone and carefully reassembling.

Thanks to those who posted the disk image and excellent instructions!

Cheers,
Ross-O

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 1:16 PM, Ross Overstreet said:

Thanks so much for the tips!  I got my W4400NEX running again with a new SD card.  I downloaded the AVIC disk image from the mega.nz link provided in the "Backups and Images" folder on page 8.  I burned it to SD card using win32diskimager.  Helpful tip - you don't have to remove the faceplate connector PCB and ribbon cable on the front of the unit.  You only need to take the 2 screws on the sides off and you can slide the entire face plate drive assembly forward enough to access the SD card.  Use caution when disengaging the plastic face plate from the metal radio chassis.  There are several detents in the metal chassis where bosses on the plastic engage to hold it together.

EDIT - The first SD card that I used had issues.  Boot times were about a minute.  It was a 32GB microSD in a SD adapter.  I ordered some new SanDIsk 80MB/sec 16GB cards and tried one of those.  It totally fixed the issue.  Boot times now are about 10 secs.

The back up cam intermittently coming on seems to be fixed or dramatically improved by cleaning the ribbon cable contacts with acetone and carefully reassembling.

Thanks to those who posted the disk image and excellent instructions!

Cheers,
Ross-O

Hi are you able to send a picture of which options to choose in the win32diskimager program? Thank you.

My 4400 NEX  has been doing a few odd things...it’s 2 years old.  The first oddity is a tendency to change screens from what I left it last time...it begins playing, then there’s a period of several seconds where there’s no sound, then 80% of the time, it then plays (but the screen has changed)...the other 20% of the time, it will say that it can’t find my phone (iPhoneX, IOS 14.2)....

Sometimes, when it does this, I can go to “Bluetooth Audio”, and get it to play music, but Apple CarPlay isn’t connected....

I have gotten the “Software Error” message once, but that was several weeks ago..it’s not come back.

Is this a potential symptom of a failing SD card, or is there something else going on?

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi a couple questions to experienced users / owners who have gone through this. I have the AVH W4400NEX and I believe this happened to my unit today.

1. I have only seen the "Software Error" screen a couple times today after trying to start it several times. Usually I just get a scrambled screen and a garbled image of my splash screen. Is that the same issue here?

2. What's the fastest speed SD card the head unit can benefit from? If i'm going to get a a new one should I just get the fastest I could get or will some not read by the head unit?

Thank you all.

Mike

• 2 years later...

Just thought id share my experience for others looking to fix their unit. For me my radio was working good. The only annoying issue was my phone wouldn't connect automatically so i had to push a few buttons to get it to function. 

So i changed my sd card which fixed the issue however this caused a new problem for me. Android auto suddenly wouldn't work. I have a galaxy s21 with android 13. I was reading in another forum that to fix that you need to download a firmware prior to v1.02 he shared version v1.00 so i downloaded that and put it in the head unit and android auto still didn't work. So I used pioneer site to get the v1.02 upgrade, installed that and now everything works the way its supposed too.