AVIC411.com

Installing a AVIC 8000NEX series in FJ Cruiser

I had an AVIC-D3 in my FJ but now am trying to install an AVIC-8500NEX.  I also have a PeripheralElectronics steering wheel interface device.

Does anyone know if the connections for both receivers would be the same?

The retailer I got the wiring harness and Interface kit from pre-wired it for me for the D3.  I hate to reconnect it identically and then mess up my new 8500.

In short, HELP!  ;-)

On 4/7/2020 at 5:44 PM, bonee said:

just match color by color

That would be good advice normally, but there are puzzling differences.  The MUTE wire in the D3 was grounded, but the instructions on the 8500 say if no mute on your car, leave mute wire unconnected.  Not sure which is best.  The instructions also say to connect parking brake wire to the positive side of the emergency brake switch.  The old one on my D3 was tied to ground.

Also, the Steering Wheel interface is programmable...sooooooo...I think is customized for both the vehicle and the radio...vehicle didn’t change...but the radio is a significant upgrade and might require a program change...I just dunno.

Mute wire not needed. The mute wire was grounded because that was the video bypass for the radio. Parking brake wire. Just ground it and do the nex bypass on the fourms. Steering wheel control. I need to know the model.number. if its aswc-1. It auto programs