AVIC411.com

WT7600NEX & WT8600NEX First Impressions

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, IvanRaide said:

Do you happen to have "Hey Siri" turned on? 

Hey it’s Ivan from Reddit! 

I’m out of town and can’t test it but I will when I get back on Friday. Although I do use hey Siri quite often with my AirPods, would suck to turn that off. 

Your wireless CarPlay has been better still? 

I was in a Cayenne today that had CarPlay built in and thought of you lol 

3C13642A-FBEF-4F43-B0A8-EE51B3381FD7.jpeg

One more thing, I found some where on the inter webs that someone had success with wireless CarPlay interference by turning this off. I did it and it’s seemed to help but could be placebo. 

The only thing that I can tell it turns off is direction airdrop, can no longer point your phone at another to send an airdrop. Didn’t work well for me anyways so I’m not missing much. 

D6975621-B58E-4626-9FEB-962ED1CEEDFC.jpeg

Hey Markdizle.  Yup, its day 3 and no drops.  Although I dont want to keep it this way, I figure (if its truly proven) we could maybe email Pioneer to fix it?  I checked, I have networking & wireless on ... but might try it (and dropping LTE) if this doesn't work, but so far 3 days is pretty good.

28 minutes ago, IvanRaide said:

Hey Markdizle.  Yup, its day 3 and no drops.  Although I dont want to keep it this way, I figure (if its truly proven) we could maybe email Pioneer to fix it?  I checked, I have networking & wireless on ... but might try it (and dropping LTE) if this doesn't work, but so far 3 days is pretty good.

I called Pioneer about the crappy Siri quality and they immediately blamed my phone, I didn’t push it hard and just hung up. Got some low level tech on the phone just reading from a script. 

I’ll give them a call this weekend and push the issue further as it’s not getting any better! 

@IvanRaide I saw in your video on your thread about the volume knob mod that you are using the iOS 14 beta.

How is your Siri and phone call sound quality with the beta?

I’m still pinning this problem on Pioneer, as other cars don’t have this problem. I just hope it is fixable with software, and not due to them cheaping out on Bluetooth hardware. 

37 minutes ago, mapotter99 said:

@IvanRaide I saw in your video on your thread about the volume knob mod that you are using the iOS 14 beta.

How is your Siri and phone call sound quality with the beta?

I’m still pinning this problem on Pioneer, as other cars don’t have this problem. I just hope it is fixable with software, and not due to them cheaping out on Bluetooth hardware. 

No, iOS14 didn't help that, Siri still sounds wrong, (like bluetooth mono).  I suspect it's not going to get fixed, they probably implemented phone and "voice dial" via HSP and HFP and not AVRCP/A2DP and I highly doubt they are going to go back and redo it, (I'm sure they are already onto new hardware and cant wait for you to buy that NEW hardware instead of this months old junk).  But, lets hope ....

I see you have "hey siri" on.  You have mentioned distance as well.  I have my phone always in my right pocket so about 2 feet diagonal to the center of the head unit, today is the 4th day of no drops for myself though.  One thing if you could try ..... say "HHHHHEEEEEEYYYYYYYY" (pretty loudly) and tell me if you get a few audio drops after that?

I just spoke with Pioneer, and after checking, the support person I talked to said the metallic distant Siri is a KNOWN issue, and promised to forward my information to engineering!

So... call in AGAIN and really press the issue. Offer to help engineering fix this problem!

32 minutes ago, IvanRaide said:

No, iOS14 didn't help that, Siri still sounds wrong, (like bluetooth mono).  I suspect it's not going to get fixed, they probably implemented phone and "voice dial" via HSP and HFP and not AVRCP/A2DP and I highly doubt they are going to go back and redo it, (I'm sure they are already onto new hardware and cant wait for you to buy that NEW hardware instead of this months old junk).  But, lets hope ....

I see you have "hey siri" on.  You have mentioned distance as well.  I have my phone always in my right pocket so about 2 feet diagonal to the center of the head unit, today is the 4th day of no drops for myself though.  One thing if you could try ..... say "HHHHHEEEEEEYYYYYYYY" (pretty loudly) and tell me if you get a few audio drops after that?

I suspect you are right. That is typically Pioneer’s approach to these things after a few months on the market. Im hoping if enough of us complain this early on, they will have to fix the problem... IF it can be fixed with a software/firmware update. 

I just tried Hey Siri while connected wirelessly. I had no drops. Everything worked properly. 

Is anyone having the dropping problem on a WT7600NEX?  I’ve only heard of it on the 8600, so far. 

3 hours ago, mapotter99 said:

I suspect you are right. That is typically Pioneer’s approach to these things after a few months on the market. Im hoping if enough of us complain this early on, they will have to fix the problem... IF it can be fixed with a software/firmware update. 

I just tried Hey Siri while connected wirelessly. I had no drops. Everything worked properly. 

Is anyone having the dropping problem on a WT7600NEX?  I’ve only heard of it on the 8600, so far. 

Yes mine drops on the WT7600NEX, although for no apparent reason it has gotten a little better. If I even wave my hand over my phone it drops, or heaven forbid I pickup my phone it drops too. 

I’ll call them when I get home tonight and press the issue!

So today is my 5th day with the HeySiri off (and today I drove to get lunch so technically I have driven 45-1hour 12 times) and on the 12th time (the drive home) it had 3 audio drops.  Now after crying uncontrollably,  I started to think “what changed”.  I just installed AdGuard Pro (which is a VPN adblocker) so it might be that, (and hence more evidence to “extreme wifi latency intolerance”).  This is more just FYI while we wait for a miracle....

Yesterday I experienced constant severe audio cut outs even when my iPhone 8 Plus was in what I call the safe zone, 6 inches from where the 8600 is installed. Sometimes Apple Maps completely locked up on the screen coinciding with these audio cut outs. I’m hoping this is an issue that can be fixed via a firmware update, and isn’t a hardware shortcoming. I’ve owned wireless Kenwood CarPlay units prior to the 8600 using the same iPhone and never had this issue before. To me this rules out it being a iPhone/IOS/iPhone setting issue, but rather this issue points to it being directly related to the Pioneer head unit itself.

Question....Has anyone tested the audio cut out issue when running Android Auto wirelessly? I have a Samsung S9+ that I’m going to test with wireless Android Auto to see if it exhibits the audio cut out issue as we are experiencing with wireless CarPlay. This will help further narrow down whether this is a phenomenon in just the way Pioneer implemented their wireless protocol with wireless CarPlay, or if it’s more or less a hardware shortfall with the WiFi chip Pioneer chose to use in our units.

Okay reporting back after testing my 8600 with wireless AA during a 30 minute drive. Well I’m happy to report that Android Auto runs flawless with a wireless connection. Not one single audio cut out when playing music and navigating via google maps/Waze. The wireless connection is solid and consistent with my Samsung Galaxy Flip being in my pocket during the entire drive. With my iPhone I couldn’t run CarPlay with it placed in my pocket without experiencing constant dropouts and the 8600 occasionally freezing during these dropouts. Not as severe, but this even happened when my iPhone was placed right near the head unit. 

Since I’m not tied to a specific ecosystem and for the sake of enjoying my 8600 without issue for the time being, I think I’m going to roll with wireless Android Auto for a minute. Here’s hoping that Pioneer tighten up their WiFi protocol coding when using wireless CarPlay really soon.

Thanks.